Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset

tag
Sebas101
Valued Member

Offset

Hello everyone,

I just received my tax refund and immediately noticed I got hit with an offset. I already sent the letter to see if I'm eligible for my student loan rehabilitation. Would I still be eligible for rehabilitation with this offset?? Im also concerned with late payments that may come if I'm not approved for the rehabilitation in time.

any suggestions??

Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Offset

Since you mention offset & rehab, I'm assuming these loans are defaulted.
If you give the servicer a call, they can start you on rehab (assuming you haven't rehabbed before) during the call - no wait needed.

As for the offset - I would apply to get it returned if you have Direct/FFEL loans.  Right now the IRS isn't supposed to be taking money from tax refunds as part of the CARES act SL pause.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 3
BB30
Valued Member

Re: Offset

So I assume these are government loans? They shouldn't be taking any money right now even if eligible for offset. But they must be defaulted if you are getting that notice. 

I just rehabilitated mine. It was real easy. Just a quick call, sign a form they mailed me, and emailed a photo of it. Best thing I did. All my loans are current now and there's no trace of ever being in default. 

Just a word of caution, you can only do rehabilitation once in your life. Make sure you are ready and can make payments. They can set you up with a plan that's based on your income and should be easily feasible. Anyways, def do it. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.