Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Collection Affecting Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Collection Affecting Credit Score

Hi All,

I am just curious. I had an account go into collections in July of 2006. I am now working on increasing my credit score and when I received myfico score on of the negatives listed was that which went into collection. 

I was completely unaware of the 32 dollar bill that went into collections and immediately paid it when I found out about it. Probably sometime in 2008-2009.  

My question is this, how long will this affect my score and by how much? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Old Collection Affecting Credit Score

The date it was placed for collection, reported to your CR, or paid does not control its CR exclusion.

CR exclusion is based only on the DOFD on the OC account.

What was the DOFD with the OC?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be completely honest im not sure. The only date I can find when it was forwarded on to the Collection Agency. What are the different scenarios based on the DOFD relating to collections and the OC account?

Thanks for your help!

Message 3 of 6
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Would it fall off account 7 yrs after DOFD with OC or 7 yrs after DOFD with CA? This is where I get confused about collections and when they're due to "fall off" the CR....
Message 4 of 6
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@hippychic823 wrote:
Would it fall off account 7 yrs after DOFD with OC or 7 yrs after DOFD with CA? This is where I get confused about collections and when they're due to "fall off" the CR....

7 yrs after DOFD with oc. it cant be 7 yrs after DOFD with ca or else they would be selling them left and right and resetting the clock lol

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 5 of 6
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

CA's can stay on a CR up to 7.5 yrs. Beginning with the DoFD, from the account with the OC.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.