Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Collection

I'm in a weird situation on a collection that's due to fall off in November. When I was 21/22 years old I was approved for a $5,000 credit line through NavyFCU, I didn't know about credit at the time because my dad was mainly telling me credit is bad, cash is king. Long story short, I maxed it out, fell on hard times and left it alone after that. When I started to clear off my bad debt, I had one from AT&T that was falling off December 2019 and I disputed that in January for being too old and it was removed. When I do the same with NavyFCU which is due to drop off in November 2019, they won't remove it at all.

Is there another approach I can take to get it removed or how far will Transunion delete old debt?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Old Collection

Creditors and debt collectors dont remove negative reporting based on credit report exclusion.

That is a determination that is made by the CRAs based on the facts of when the derogs occured.

Creditors and debt collectors report delinquencies, charge-offs, and collections.

The date of initial delinquency for each is a factual issue that then determines the expiration of the relevant credit report exclusion period, which is 7 years for monthly delinquencies, and 7 years plus 180 days for charge-offs and collections.

Disputes that reporting is "too old" are supported by a showing of when the dates of delnquency occured, and then a showing that the CRA has not followed the proper exclusion provision of FCRA 605(a) in not having excluding the negative item(s).

What is the specific derog that you feel should be excluded, and what it the date of initial delinquency that applies?

If those dates are factually shown to be earlier than 7 years, or 7 years plus 180 days, prior, depending upon the type of derog, you have a factual dispute that can be filed with the CRA.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Creditors and debt collectors dont remove negative reporting based on credit report exclusion.

That is a determination that is made by the CRAs based on the facts of when the derogs occured.

Creditors and debt collectors report delinquencies, charge-offs, and collections.

The date of initial delinquency for each is a factual issue that then determines the expiration of the relevant credit report exclusion period, which is 7 years for monthly delinquencies, and 7 years plus 180 days for charge-offs and collections.

Disputes that reporting is "too old" are supported by a showing of when the dates of delnquency occured, and then a showing that the CRA has not followed the proper exclusion provision of FCRA 605(a) in not having excluding the negative item(s).

What is the specific derog that you feel should be excluded, and what it the date of initial delinquency that applies?

If those dates are factually shown to be earlier than 7 years, or 7 years plus 180 days, prior, depending upon the type of derog, you have a factual dispute that can be filed with the CRA.

It went to collections in December 2012, I get updated every month from Credit Karma that Navy FCU changes my payment history in 2013 from 90/120 days to 60/90 days. They do it every month on random years and months.

Message 3 of 4
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

TransUnion removes 6 months in advance.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.