Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Collection

Hello...i'm new here and I have a question.

I have an old collection from 2011 with First Premier Bank - $389. I thought it had fallen off, but, I have pulled my credit report and it shows it had been updated/charged off as of 02/2014. Will a GW letter help me or should I just call them and settle this? I am trying to rebuild my credit. I don't have many negatives and I just want to try and do the best thing and not open any can of worms if I don't have to.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old Collection

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an old collection from 2011 with First Premier Bank - $389. I thought it had fallen off, but, I have pulled my credit report and it shows it had been updated/charged off as of 02/2014. Will a GW letter help me or should I just call them and settle this? I am trying to rebuild my credit. I don't have many negatives and I just want to try and do the best thing and not open any can of worms if I don't have to.

Since it's from 2011 you should request an Early Exclusion. I wouldn't settle it because it will reset the clock on your CR. My opinion.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry, what does Early Exclusion mean? And yes, I do not want to reset the clock on anything!!!

Thanks...

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Since it's from 2011 you should request an Early Exclusion. I wouldn't settle it because it will reset the clock on your CR. My opinion.

No, it will not. That is a common credit myth. NOTHING resets the reporting clock.

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The only relevant date governing required exclusion of either a reported charge-off or collection is the date of first delinquency (DOFD) on the account with the creditor.

The date that the creditor reports a charge-off or the date a debt collector reports a collection is irrelevant to determining the exclusion of that reporting.

If the collection was reported in 2011, then the DOFD must precede that date.

The DOFD is required to be separately and explicitly reported to the CRA no later than 90 days after reporting of either a charge-off or collection.

You must obtain the reported DOFD that is of record in your credit file (stored as the "FCRA Compliance Date/Date of First Delinquency") in order to determine the ultimate credit report exclusion date.  More specifically, no collection or charge-off can continue to be included in your credit report after a period of 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD.  That required exclusion applies regardless of whether the debt is paid, is under a payment plan, or remains unpaid.

There is no "reset" of the DOFD or credit report exclusion based on any action of the consumer, creditor, or debt collector other than determination of the correct DOFD.

If the DOFD is not shown in your commercial credit report, then check your free annual report from annualcreditreport.com.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The only relevant date governing required exclusion of either a reported charge-off or collection is the date of first delinquency (DOFD) on the account with the creditor.

The date that the creditor reports a charge-off or the date a debt collector reports a collection is irrelevant to determining the exclusion of that reporting.

If the collection was reported in 2011, then the DOFD must precede that date.

The DOFD is required to be separately and explicitly reported to the CRA no later than 90 days after reporting of either a charge-off or collection.

You must obtain the reported DOFD that is of record in your credit file (stored as the "FCRA Compliance Date/Date of First Delinquency") in order to determine the ultimate credit report exclusion date.  More specifically, no collection or charge-off can continue to be included in your credit report after a period of 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD.  That required exclusion applies regardless of whether the debt is paid, is under a payment plan, or remains unpaid.

There is no "reset" of the DOFD or credit report exclusion based on any action of the consumer, creditor, or debt collector other than determination of the correct DOFD.

If the DOFD is not shown in your commercial credit report, then check your free annual report from annualcreditreport.com.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.