Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Ebay Debt...what should I do?

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Old Ebay Debt...what should I do?

Ok, I had an old ebay debt of $52.94 aparently. I received a collection letter from Convergent last September.  I never saw it on any of my credit reports.  I tried to pay it last month anyway just to make sure it never showed up on my reports. When I called Convergent they said they no longer had the debt.

So yesterday I contacted Ebay directly.  I was transfered from CS to billing and a third department, all of which are outsourced to some other country which made communication quite difficult.  I basically told them I wanted to pay the $52.94 and make sure it was removed from collections. The first person was going to take a payment but when I asked if it would be removed from collections they said they didn't know and sent me to billing. When I got to billing they said they could NOT take a payment and that I would have to contact Convergent. I told them Convergent would not take a payment and that was why I was calling Ebay.  They transfered me to another area who also said they could not take a payment.  So a manager was supposed to call me back in 30 minutes and I never received a call.

The ebay account is closed (when you look it up online it states "Not a registered user"). I can not log in and the last feedback appeared 09/11/07 which would be close to when this account went into default. But I have no emails or other records of when it would have exactly.

What should I do?

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Old Ebay Debt...what should I do?

I had a similar situation but never received anything from a CA.   It was an old, long forgotten eBay account with an approx $25 balance that I saw when I attempted to log in.  I paid ebay directly, they reactivated my account, and nothing ever appeared on my credit reports.   

I'd just go ahead and pay eBay if they'll actually take your payment.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

I'd just go ahead and pay eBay if they'll actually take your payment.

This was what I was trying to do yesterday. I dont know if it is so old (2007) that it won't come back to haunt me or should I try again with ebay?  It was so difficult speaking with anyone!  So frustating when they don't speak english as a first language!

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 3 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It's almost too old to appear on your credit reports, but that won't stop CAs from trying to collect on it now or in the future.    If you can get eBay to take a payment then I'd go that route.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 7
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

It's almost too old to appear on your credit reports, but that won't stop CAs from trying to collect on it now or in the future.    If you can get eBay to take a payment then I'd go that route.

I guess I will try them again tomorrow. I need a good nights sleep to deal with the thick foreign accents though Smiley Mad

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 5 of 7
polno1234
Contributor

i had kind of the same situation. i owed 5.18 they wouldnt let me pay and now i get a statement every month that says pay nothing account balance -5.18. i tried to sell something once. my account is still active and i only buy stuff now but i dont know whats up with the 5.18 i owe. its over 10 years old.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 6 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

At least it's old, doesn't have much life left it.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.