Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Medical Collections Not Reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old Medical Collection, Not Reporting

@Anonymous wrote:
To verify that it is hers and that the bill was sent to your ins.co. and was not paid. Call the OC and ask for all info.  do not contact the CA!!!  No need to tell them that you know about the CA.

I called the OC and the only open charges they have is for the $1600 charge.  They are sending the bill in the mail.  They did not mention anything about the other $260.50 charge.  Does this mean they sold the account to NCO and therefore no longer show it in there system as unpaid, or that it just "went away" somehow?

I asked if the charge could be reduced and I was told that I would need to speak to a supervisor (I was given the name, I didn't even have to ask), but that it was already reduced from over 7K.

Message 21 of 28
fused
Moderator Emeritus

This is quite a reduction. When you receive the info from the OC, post what it says in this thread.
Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got the info from the OC last night.  There are 12 procedures from 4/6/06 ranging in price from $18 to $2340, with a total of $7363.20.  Under that, it says INS PYMTS/ADJUSTMENTS 5763.20.  That leaves $1600 (there is no 1600 on the page anywhere); however, the "Total" and "Amount Due" at the bottom and "Patient Amount Due" at the top (just above "Amount Enclosed" and space to put CC info) show $0.00.

I think I will call and say it says we owe 0, and see what they say.

No mention of any $260.50 charge, either from them or sent to NCO.  Could that have simply disappeared?

Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Talked to the OC, and the very nice lady told me that it's showing as 0 because it was sent to collections (Capital Collection).  She also told me that since it was already deeply discounted, they could go no lower (their policy is to not charge more than $1600 if you don't have health insurance, which my wife did not have at the time).

She also said I'd have to talk to the CA, and that they will not accept payment directly, because they (the OC) are paying the CA to handle the account.  Is this true?  Can I really not pay the OC for a medical bill directly?  What if I used their automated phone system?  Finally, what is the SOL in PA for medical bills?  It's been two years at this point

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mike, we had two med bills go to collections. We are still paying on these debts to the CA (they both use the same CA here) as the OCs will no longer accept payments once they've gone to collections.  They each say our balance with them is zero. We make payments each month and they have not reported to our CRs and I honestly don't think they will. We can pay online, over the phone or via mail, and they've been pretty good so far.

Could you make arrangements with CA to pay? I'm guessing that since it's not reporting, the whole HIPAA thing isn't a concern right now. 

Someone slap me around if I'm messing him up!  

Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd prefer to never have to deal with a CA in my life if I can. But if I have to, I guess I will. I don't think the HIPAA process is relevant, as no one is reporting.
Message 26 of 28
fused
Moderator Emeritus

The HIPAA process cannot be used if there isn't a collection reporting
Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like you will have to deal with the CA on this since the OC won't accept payments. Be nice when you call them (it's not their fault the bill is outstanding) and ask them to not report while you make payments.

Or maybe don't call them at all, write a letter instead, but if they don't get something from you soon and continually til it's paid off, I bet they will report to CRs. And then it'll be a huge hassle!

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.