Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old judgment came back to haunt me...

tag
hallas
Valued Member

Old judgment came back to haunt me...

Hi, all. 

I live in NC. When I was 18 years old, I was naive and financed a car through Ford Motor Credit. The car was repossessed a few months later and a judgment was issued against me in 2007. 

I recently financed a car (Sept 23rd, 2013). 

Now, an execution thing was served to my mother (well, return unserved because I no longer live there) for the judgment. My mother notified me of this. I immediately called them and tried to discuss how to settle with them. The original amount was $5700. It is now over $10grand. The creditor spoke to me with such condescension, even though I was trying to be respectful and ask her my options. Apparently, the only option I had was paying it off in full. I am a college student and make very little money (I am a tutor through my school which pays me $250 a semester, lol). My school covers (through federal financial aid) housing, school, and transportation costs. 

I gave them my correct address because I am not trying to run from them, however; I definitely do not have $10,000 in cash. She asked if I could borrow the money from someone or take out a personal loan to pay them back. I have a 620 credit score and was just in the process of rebuilding my credit. I told her that with my credit score, there was no way anyone would lend me that kind of money. She said she could submit a settlement offer for $5700, but it would have to be paid in a lump sum, again - I do not have that kind of cash. 

She immediately referred to the car I just financed in September. I told her that my car was totaled (which is 100% true, of which I have proof) and that I need a vehicle to get to and from school (as well as to take my daughter to and from school), etc. I told her that it was a used car (2010 Toyota Corolla with 52k miles on it), not a new car, and that I owed more money on it than it is worth (which is true - it is worth about 11.5k and I owe 13k). 

So, in NC, it states that purchases made in the last 90 days may not be exempt from execution. Since the car I financed is worth less than what I owe on it, can they seize it? I do not know if it means within 90 days of the judgment (which was in 07) or when the execution was filed (which was on the 23rd of Sept, apparently) or 90 days from when I am served (which has not occurred yet). I am not worried about my bank account, as I have just $240 in there and am going to close it on Monday. I also am going to exempt my school banking account that is used for financial aid refund, as I know they cannot seize federal aid funding for a car judgment. None of my personal belongings are worth that much (I have a computer, a TV, and an IPhone - those are the only things worth any value) and I rent. I am mainly worried about my car. However, I do not know if I should worry considering I owe so much money on it. I know this is not a legal advice forum, but I am hoping someone on here has had a similar experience. I really did try to work with them and told them I would enter into a contract to repay in monthly increments, even in sizable amounts on the $5700 (like $1000 down and 200-300 a month), however; they said that was *not* an option. Any advice would be appreciated. Please no mean comments. I have had a horrible week. :'(

NCFU cashRewards Visa Signature ($15K) | NCFU CLOC ($10K) | Merrill + Platinum Plus Signature Visa ($12K) | Amex Everyday Preferred ($8K) | Discover IT ($6k) | SallieMae World MasterCard ($5K) | Wells Fargo Platinum Visa ($3K) | Wells Fargo College Cash Back ($800) | BankAmericard for College Students ($1.5K) | American Express Blue Cash Everyday ($1K) | PayPal Extras MC ($2.5K) | Kay Jewelers ($4K) | Capital One QS ($1.3k) | Capital One QS1 ($1.3K) | SECU Visa ($1K) | CareCredit ($2K) | WalMart Store Card ($1.2K) | Amazon Store Card ($2K) | Macy's ($1.3K) | Barclaycard Rewards ($3K) | Target Red ($500) | Bill Me Later ($500)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Old judgment came back to haunt me...

Who exactly did you speak to about the judgment?  Who served the execution? 

I would contact an attorney.  You should be able to consult with one for free.

Was the judgment brought in NC?

Message 2 of 14
hallas
Valued Member

The judgment was brought out in NC. I contacted who Ford Motor Credit told me to contact - Smith & Debnam, which is an attorney's office/debt collector. A sheriff served the execution, however; he was unable to "serve" it, since I no longer live at my mother's house (haven't lived there since I was 17 years old). I have not been served, yet. I called the clerk's office and she said that once I was served, then I would file exemptions. However, I do not want a surprise. They HAVE to serve me in order to execute, right? I need to know when my 20 days starts ticking. Thanks. 

NCFU cashRewards Visa Signature ($15K) | NCFU CLOC ($10K) | Merrill + Platinum Plus Signature Visa ($12K) | Amex Everyday Preferred ($8K) | Discover IT ($6k) | SallieMae World MasterCard ($5K) | Wells Fargo Platinum Visa ($3K) | Wells Fargo College Cash Back ($800) | BankAmericard for College Students ($1.5K) | American Express Blue Cash Everyday ($1K) | PayPal Extras MC ($2.5K) | Kay Jewelers ($4K) | Capital One QS ($1.3k) | Capital One QS1 ($1.3K) | SECU Visa ($1K) | CareCredit ($2K) | WalMart Store Card ($1.2K) | Amazon Store Card ($2K) | Macy's ($1.3K) | Barclaycard Rewards ($3K) | Target Red ($500) | Bill Me Later ($500)
Message 3 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

According to NC law, the execution has to be served by the sheriff or certified mail and you are given 20 days to respond.

Message 4 of 14
hallas
Valued Member

I am going to contact Legal Aid of NC on Monday. Is there anyone who can tell me if they can seize my car, though? I know based on equity, they cannot. However, based on the 90 days thing, can they? I am a nervous person and I know I have nothing to worry about this weekend, but I won't be able to rest until I find an answer, lol. Thanks for the info, though!

Message 5 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I didn't see anything about 90 days.  Just that $3500 in equity is exempt.

Message 6 of 14
hallas
Valued Member

Here is what I am talking about: 

I further understand that the amount of my claim under this section is after the
deduction from the value of this property of the amount of any valid lien or security interests and that tangible personal property
purchased within ninety (90) days of this proceeding may not be exempt

Here is the link to the document that I must file to claim exemptions:

http://www.nccourts.org/forms/Documents/927.pdf

Message 7 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Ok it was on the form itself.

It may not be exempt then.  Only the judge can decide.

You may be able to claim insolvency also if you are a student.

Message 8 of 14
hallas
Valued Member

Is insolvency the same as bankruptcy? I do not want to file bankruptcy at 26 - that judgment is the only negative thing on my credit report and the only debt I owe (aside from my car payment). 

Message 9 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, not at all.  Insolvency means you lack the financial resources to pay the judgment. 

I would contact an attorney ASAP.  Because NC is a lien state you really should seek legal counsel.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.