cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Resurrected) On the right track...maybe (Our Rebuilding Journal)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

(Resurrected) On the right track...maybe (Our Rebuilding Journal)

My wife and I have been in a financial rough patch for a couple of years. Between births, unemployment, college expenses, moving, and new jobs we have finally made it to a position to work on our credit, and I think we have a solid plan. Our goal is to get a mortgage through either the VA, USDA, or FHA. I just wanted to get some advice and make sure we're not being dilusional. My FICO scores currently sit at EX 571 EQ 545 TU 559. We haven't pulled my wife's yet but our Vantage Scores are roughly the same and our reports look very similar. So...

Open Accounts

Credit Cards

Cap1 Platinum $54/$300 (I'm the primary she is an AU. History is pretty rough, but it has been current since February.)

Cap1 QS1 $224/$500 (I'm the primary she is an AU. History is pretty rough, but it has been current since February.)

Student Loans

She has 8 with a balance of ~$40K (All current, never late)

I have 14 with a balance of ~$52K (2 have 1x60, 1x90 Day late from 2014 and 9 have 1x90, 1x120, 1x150, 1x180 from 2015) (40 late payments total. All are current, never late since August 2015) (I'm working with the lender to get these lates removed as they were in forebearance at the time of the late payments.)

Charge Offs

Comenity Bank/Stage sold to Bureaus Investment Group assigned to Delta Outsource Group

CO Feb 2020 DOFD Aug 2019. Balance $910

Settled for 90% March 2021

Comenity Bank/VS sold to Bureaus Investment Group assigned to First National Collection Bureau

CO Feb 2020 DOFD Aug 2019. Balance $906

Settled for 90% March 2021

Credit One sold to LVNV Funding

CO Dec 2019 DOFD Jun 2019. Balance $1186

Settled for 70% March 2021

Discover Financial Services

CO Dec 2019 DOFD Jun 2019. Balance $1343

Settled for 40% May 2020

Fingerhut sold to Jefferson Capital Systems

CO Dec 2019 DOFD Jun 2019. Balance $544

CO Dec 2019 DOFD Jun 2019. Balance $815

Fingerhut sold to Portfolio Ventures (First Financial)

CO Nov 2019 DOFD Jun 2019. Balance $509

Settled for 70% May 2020

Cap1 Auto Finance

CO Jun 2015 DOFD Mar 2015. Balance $28120

Settled for 13.5% March 2021

Collections

Dish Network assigned to Credence Resource Management

Balance $1237

Settled for 40% March 2021

AT&T assigned to Credence Resource Management

Balance $2936

Settled for 56% March 2021

The Plan

Step 1. Settle Discover and First Financial (Fingerhut). (See Update 1&2 in message 12&16)

Step 2. Settle the 2x LVNV (Credit One) and 1x Jefferson Capital (Fingerhut) (There policies are delete after account is settled.)

Step 3. Attempt PFD or Settle with 2x Bureaus(Comenity Bank) and Discover

Step 4. Contact OC (Dish and AT&T) and attempt to have accounts recalled and pay through them.

Step 5. Settle Cap1 Auto Finance

Step 6. Pay CC's down following AZEO and less than 8% UTI. Open new secured CC account for wife.

Step 7. Time and work on GW's to remove CO's, late payments, etc.

Step 8. Mortgage (Hopefully Spring 2022)

Any questions, comments, concerns, idea's, etc? Really trying to get things lined out. TIA

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: On the right track...maybe

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife and I have been in a financial rough patch for a couple of years. Between births, unemployment, college expenses, moving, and new jobs we have finally made it to a position to work on our credit, and I think we have a solid plan. Our goal is to get a mortgage through either the VA, USDA, or FHA. I just wanted to get some advice and make sure we're not being dilusional. My FICO scores currently sit at EX 571 EQ 545 TU 559. We haven't pulled my wife's yet but our Vantage Scores are roughly the same and our reports look very similar. So...

Open Accounts

Credit Cards

Cap1 Platinum $54/$300 (I'm the primary she is an AU. History is pretty rough, but it has been current since February and we will pay it off before the end of the month. Plan on keeping this as an All Zero card for AZEO)

Cap1 QS1 $224/$500 (I'm the primary she is an AU. History is pretty rough, but it has been current since February. Working on paying this off and keeping a small recurring charge on there. This will be the EO for AZEO)

Student Loans

She has 8 with a balance of ~$40K (All current, never late)

I have 14 with a balance of ~$52K (2 have 1x60, 1x90 Day late from 2014 and 9 have 1x90, 1x120, 1x150, 1x180 from 2015) (40 late payments total. All are current, never late since August 2015) (I'm working with the lender to get these lates removed as they were in forebearance at the time of the late payments.)

Charge Offs

Comenity Bank/Stage sold to Bureaus Investment Group assigned to Credit Control LLC

CO Feb 2020 DOFD Aug 2019. Balance $910

Comenity Bank/VS sold to Bureaus Investment Group

CO Feb 2020 DOFD Aug 2019. Balance $906

CO Dec 2019 DOFD Jun 2019. Balance $1186

Discover Financial Services

CO Dec 2019 DOFD Jun 2019. Balance $1343

Fingerhut sold to Jefferson Capital Systems

CO Dec 2019 DOFD Jun 2019. Balance $544

CO Dec 2019 DOFD Jun 2019. Balance $815

Fingerhut sold to someone they aren't showing on CR yet presuming Jefferson Capital

CO Nov 2019 DOFD Jun 2019. Balance $509

Cap1 Auto Finance

CO Jun 2015 DOFD Mar 2015. Balance $28120

Collections

Dish Network assigned to Amsher Collection Services

Balance $1237

AT&T assigned to Credence Resource Management

Balance $2936

The Plan

Step 1. Pay CC's down following AZEO and less than 8% UTI. Open new secured CC account for wife (maybe to early?)

Step 2. Settle the 2x LVNV (Credit One) and 2x Jefferson Capital (Fingerhut) (There policies are delete after account is settled.)

Step 3. Attempt PFD or Settle with 2x Bureaus(Comenity Bank) and Discover

Step 4. Contact OC (Dish and AT&T) and attempt to have accounts recalled and pay through them.

Step 5. Settle Cap1 Auto Finance

Step 6. Time and work on GW's to remove CO's, late payments, etc.

Step 7. Mortgage (Hopefully Spring 2021)

Any questions, comments, concerns, idea's, etc? Really trying to get things lined out. TIA

Welcome @Anonymous 

You have a good plan it seems. Once all the CO's are paid that will help. Those lates will be the crutch for the full 7rs. But they be gone in a couple yrs. Disco and Comenity arent known for PFD on CO's. Check your reports. If any of the CO's show a balance. The OC still owns them. Deal with them first before the CA's. Ask if you settle with them if would be kind enough to recall the CA's. Good Luck on your journey.

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately all of the CO's except Discover have been sent to collections. We might try to move Discover up to Step 1, to ensure that they don't sell the debt to a collector. I wonder if they have a rehab type program to pay down that debt and start with a fresh card?

Message 3 of 23
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You sure all the charge offs show a $0 balance from the original creditor? That would show the CA owns the account now. If any balance is shown on the CO. The OC owns it. Dont know how Disco does rehab. Doesnt come up much at all.

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep all except the Disco and Cap1 Auto Finance. All the CC's that have been charged off show $0 balance, have comments about being sold, and have a matching debt collection account with the expected balance.

Message 5 of 23
hollowtipnwk
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep all except the Disco and Cap1 Auto Finance. All the CC's that have been charged off show $0 balance, have comments about being sold, and have a matching debt collection account with the expected balance.

LVNV does pay for delete, so as soon as you pay them off, they'll remove your account from your credit reports.

Starting Score:473 1/25/2020
TU 582 EQ 540 EX 585 as of 5/4/2020
Current Score:TU 627 EQ 612 EX 595 as of 6/12/2020
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Cap1 QS $750 | NFCU Cash Rewards $4500 | Citi (sec) $200 | Discover It (sec) $300 | BOA (sec) $300 | MJC $5000 | NCD $5000

Gardening goal is >= 6 months (starting June 2020)
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep and so does Jefferson Capital.

Message 7 of 23
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

Good luck on your journey, lots of great info and people on these forums. propos to firemedic for the great advice.

Chase down the debt with the OC as much as possible and deal with the CAs when necessary. AMEX rehabs with Optima - pretty sure Disco can litigate. I guess it depends on balances. If you have any luck with a GW for a CO it would be great to hear about it.

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I definitely will update if we have any luck. These forums have been so helpful with getting us started and we hope to be another success story.

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely put Disco on the front burner. They have no qualms about going legal to get repaid. You don't want to have to deal with that. 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.