Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Medical Collection - Being Deleted!!! Question for Group

tag
tagreen0927
Valued Member

One Medical Collection - Being Deleted!!! Question for Group

Hi, All....I am doing the happy dance today!

I had just one medical collection on my credit report for $87.  It was first reported 5/2010 and last reported 9/2011 when I paid it.  I've contacted the original creditor and they are removing the account!  Whohoo!  Since this was my only collection, will having it deleted move my score a little or potentially a lot?  My Equifax score now is 659 and I am desperately trying to make the 700 club soon.  I am hopeful that having this removed and the fact that Wells Fargo will FINALLY be reporting my mortgage payment history to the bureaus will get me there.  Yes, I have a mortgage and two years of solid payment history has not shown at all my report.  My reports didn't even show I had a mortgage.  I've been battling for over a year with WF on this and finally got someone from the Executive Offices to get involved.  Stil haven't seen it report yet, but hopefully very soon.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: One Medical Collection - Being Deleted!!! Question for Group

You should see a goood bump since you have no collections also no lates?  if so no baddies at all you will be rebucketed into what I call the clean people bucket YMMV but I'd expect a good jump.  Something that came up today about split files. You say your mortgage hadnt reported for two years. Was there some sort of clerical erroe by Wells Fargo or di they claim they were reporting?  If the later maybe you have a split file due to variations in your name or disputes or? 

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 12
tagreen0927
Valued Member

Hmmmm, interesting. I am not sure why WF had such an issue. But they claimed and claimed they were reporting but it did not show on my credit report or my husband's. Also one of my student loans isn't reporting on experian (fine on tu and equifax). Though direct lending says they are reporting too. Ugh. What a mess! I'll have to investigate the split file? Never heard of that before!
Message 3 of 12
annielorie
Valued Contributor

There are a couple iof older threads about it search it

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 4 of 12
joanie74
Established Member

Did you write a letter?  Generally speaking, what did you put in the letter?  I am trying to get rid of two medical collections from a couple of years back.  Please help.  ThanksSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
joanie74
Established Member

Also, I noticed that you said you contacted the original creditor.  Does that mean that you didn't speak with the collection agency?  Didn't the collection agency put it on there?  How did you manage that?

Message 6 of 12
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@joanie74 wrote:

Also, I noticed that you said you contacted the original creditor.  Does that mean that you didn't speak with the collection agency?  Didn't the collection agency put it on there?  How did you manage that?

It is a method that has show checkered results, and it isn't a guarentee because the OC has no control over CA reporting... however, a tactic that people (including myself) have had success with is you pay the OC the entire balance owed (if the debt is assigned and not sold) in return for the OC 'recalling' the debt from the collection company and asking for its deletion.. it isn't perfect, but it has worked for many -- just remember, the OC cannot really compel the CA to delete. The idea behind it is, the CA will get their commission either way, and will hopefully abide by THEIR clients wishes to remove the account.

-scott

edited for my obligitory typos

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 7 of 12
gettingstarted
Regular Contributor

I just had a paid medical collection removed from my credit report and my FICO score jumped from 648 to 735 so yes there is the potential for it to jump a lot congratulations on potentially joining the 700 club. Just made it myself next stop 750 Smiley Happy

Chase Military Star MasterCard(5K) Chase MWR MASTERCARD(3K) Discover More Card(6K) USAA World MasterCard(9K) Military StarCard(3K) USAA Platinum Visa (10.5K)

MY FICO SCORES MAY 20TH 2012: EQ 738 TU 747 EX PLUS SCORE 761
In Garden Mode Until May 15th 2013

Soldier Medic
Message 8 of 12
tagreen0927
Valued Member

I had paid the medical collection, unfortunately to the collection agency (CA) before I had the knowledge that is on these boards.  If you can, always pay the original creditor first!  I learned the hard way.  When I contacted the CA they stood firm saying they couldn't remove the account, just report it directly.  I then called the original creditor (a local hospital) and talked with their billing department.  They were reluctant at first, but "kind persistence" prevailed.  I left a message for the billing supervisor and that same day sent her a personal letter with the request emphasizing the bill was paid, removing the account was in their full legal authority and that I chose to use them as my healthcare provider and still do and would hope they would value customer loyalty with all the other choices we have out there.  It worked!  Hope this helps.  I've found with kind persistence medical debt, if paid, is easy to have deleted not just updated.

Message 9 of 12
tagreen0927
Valued Member

I should have added to my last post that the original creditor (the hospital) had to instruct the collection agency to remove it.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.