Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One derogatory mark just added on my report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

One derogatory mark just added on my report

Hey guys!

New here and any advise will be helpful. I’ve always had a low credit score (580-610) for the last 10 years and just recently realized how important it is and started to fix it. I checked my scores and saw that it was hurting due to high balances and high utilization. I quickly paid everything off. Waiting on the closing dates so the statements can be reported to  TU/EX/EQ and see how high my score goes.

just 2 days ago I get an alert that I have a derogatory mark for a Macy’s cars that was CO in May 2015 with a $600 balance but just recently was reported on my reports. I called Macy’s and they transferred me over to Citi centralized recovery. I am not sure if they are part of Macy’s or a collection agency but they stated they are not obligating me to make a payment and I can only pay the $600 if I want to. Also the weird thing is that on my reports it says the creditor is DSNB/MACY’S.

what should I do guys. From what I read this can hurt me for 7 years and I just started to fix my credit Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
red259
Super Contributor

Re: One derogatory mark just added on my report

You may want to post this question in the rebuilding credit category. If they were going to remove the charge off maybe its worth paying but if they will not agree to that then I probably wouldn't bother paying it. This is assuming its a legit charge off. If that wasn't your card and you didn't make those charges etc then you should dispute it. Its going to hurt your credit score for the next couple of years but its old enough where you probably can start rebuilding. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I will reach out and see what my options are. The charges at actually legit. I was just young and didn’t care at the time.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys!

New here and any advise will be helpful. I’ve always had a low credit score (580-610) for the last 10 years and just recently realized how important it is and started to fix it. I checked my scores and saw that it was hurting due to high balances and high utilization. I quickly paid everything off. Waiting on the closing dates so the statements can be reported to  TU/EX/EQ and see how high my score goes.

just 2 days ago I get an alert that I have a derogatory mark for a Macy’s cars that was CO in May 2015 with a $600 balance but just recently was reported on my reports. I called Macy’s and they transferred me over to Citi centralized recovery. I am not sure if they are part of Macy’s or a collection agency but they stated they are not obligating me to make a payment and I can only pay the $600 if I want to. Also the weird thing is that on my reports it says the creditor is DSNB/MACY’S.

what should I do guys. From what I read this can hurt me for 7 years and I just started to fix my credit Smiley Sad

Similar situation for me. Did they mention if it was 1099-C or that they are planning to?

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

you should ask if they will do a pay for delete, as soon as it's deleted your score will jump up like crazy. but make sure to get that in writing before you pay! i had an agreement and they screwed me by not removing anything. if they won't remove the mark they can list it as paid, that might help your score a little bit. or just wait.

even though stuff is meant to fall off after 7 years, some creditors will keep a bad mark reporting forever by updating it on your report, it's a dirty trick. i had this done to me before and a 20 year old debt wasn't being removed.

on a side note, try experian boost you might gain 30 points from that.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

DSNB is Department Stores National Bank. They are a subsidiary of Citi

Message 6 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys!

Just pay it so it quits updating. Dont know how Macys operates with PFD. You can ask. Cant hurt. It will look better to future creditors you paid your debts. If the DoFD was in 2015. 4 of the 7 years has past already depending on your states SOL. You may not see a score boost right away. But it will lessen over time.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advise. I just spoke with them. Apparently Citi owns the account. The lady said I am not obligated to pay it and they are not seeking payment as the account is too old. I asked for PFD and she said they don’t do that. She did my only options are pay the balance and they will update it as paid in full but will still have the charge off status, don’t pay it at all but ether way I will have to wait for it to fall off on its own.

Now if it stayed on there for several years, can I still work now to get a good score and cards with the mark on my report?
Here’s how I look now

TU-621
EP-641
EQ-611

Capitol one $500- just paid in full waiting to update in reports

Capitol one $1250- just paid in full

Bank of America- $5500 paid in full

Freedom Unlimited $1500 paid in full

My goal is to get Amex gold
Message 8 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I'll point out one thing real quick before it hits you. Dont have all your cards report 0 balance. That will cost you 15-20 points. Have one report around 25 bucks and then PIF after statement date. Its always better to pay your debts. Plus it will quit reporting as a charge off with a balance. If you want to apply for future credit it will look a whole lot better settled than owed. Its up to you.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will deff take car of it. Thanks man.

I just got off the phone with TU and they said the mark is set to be removed June 2022
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.