(800) 501-8085
Placed for Collection: 08/05/2016
Responsibility: Individual Account
Account Type: Open Account
Loan Type: COLLECTION AGENCY/ATTORNEY
Balance: $777
Date Updated: 12/12/2016
Original Amount: $778
Original Creditor: MONTE SANO TERRACE (Rental/Leasing)
Past Due: >$777<
Pay Status: >In Collection<
Date Closed: 08/05/2016
Remarks: ACCT INFO DISPUTED BY CONSUMR; >PLACED FOR COLLECTION<
Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 06/2020

This is directly from TU online dispute. I'm a little confused as to what this means...it says Open Account, under Pay Status it says In Collection, but right underneath it says date closed was almost 5 1/2 months ago. I've disputed this debt directly with the credit bureaus to no avail, and have never made any payments regarding this debt. DOFD is 6/2013. It had fallen off my CR for a couple of years before apparently being sold to another CA (Fidelity Information Corp) and appearing back my CR in Aug/Sept.

Any thoughts ideas? PFD?

1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Open/closed collection??

The Open date for a collection is reportable as the date they received their authority to collect on the debt, either by assignment from the current owner, or by their purchase of the debt.

The Closed date for a collection is reportable as the date they terminated their collection on the debt.

Normally, a collection remains Open until it is either paid or the collection authority of the debt collector is terminated.

In the posted scenario, it is unclear as to why they would report a Closed date, unless they are referring to the date the OC closed their own account.

If, by reporting a Closed date, they are notifying the CRA that their collection authority has been terminated, then they should delete their reported collection per CRA policy.

I would give the debt collector a call and inquire as to whether or not they still have an active assignment or ownership of the debt.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.