Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open vs. Closed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Open vs. Closed

I have an old past due account (Verizon Wireless, grrrrrrr) that is PIF on my reports. EQ reports the account as still open/PIF, TU reports the account as closed/PIF. One of the CB's is (obviously?) reporting incorrect information. While I realize I'm being nitpicky, the law also requires that any information reported must be correct, and hey, I'm just a b***h that way. ;-) I disputed this with EQ and their response is that they're not going to change the account from "open" to "closed." There is also a note in the remarks section stating that consumer disputes account. Does the account reporting one way vs. other make any real difference to my scores? Trying to decide whether to push the issue. Thoughts/ advice, anyone? (BTW, I've already made one attempt to have this GW deleted, with no luck thus far... and I'll keep trying that, too.)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Open vs. Closed

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an old past due account (Verizon Wireless, grrrrrrr) that is PIF on my reports. EQ reports the account as still open/PIF, TU reports the account as closed/PIF. One of the CB's is (obviously?) reporting incorrect information. While I realize I'm being nitpicky, the law also requires that any information reported must be correct, and hey, I'm just a b***h that way. ;-) I disputed this with EQ and their response is that they're not going to change the account from "open" to "closed." There is also a note in the remarks section stating that consumer disputes account. Does the account reporting one way vs. other make any real difference to my scores? Trying to decide whether to push the issue. Thoughts/ advice, anyone? (BTW, I've already made one attempt to have this GW deleted, with no luck thus far... and I'll keep trying that, too.)

My guess is that since this is not a revolving CC account, and its PIF so there is no balance being reported, its probably not going to effect scores.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Open vs. Closed

I concur with Norman as to effect on scoring, with the possible excleption that closure of an account begins the 10 year clock for admin deletion of an account by the CRAs.

That is clearly of no immediate concern.

As for dispute of their reporting, it is not a violation per se for a party to have reported inaccurate information.

Humans are known at times to be inaccurate, and statute cannot mandate human accuracy.

To that end, the FCRA mandates that a violation occurs when a party reports information that is known ot be inaccurate.  FCRA 623(a)(1).

However, in your situation, by verifying information that was reported to one CRA while having contradictory information reported to another CRA, they are perilously close to willful misreporting.  If they do, in fact, determine that the account is still open, then their reporting with the other CRA would clearly, by their own investigation and finding, be inaccurate.  A party also has an obligation under FCRA 623(a)(2) to promptly update any prior reporting as necessary to maintain its current accuracy.

Logic would mandate that the same account would only be either open or closed under whatever basis they may have for making that determination.

Thus, should you wish to push the matter, you appear to have clear basis for asserting a violation of FCRA 623(a)(2), to which you could file a formal complaint with the CFPB.

Personally, I would not want to burn a possible bridge with them unless you clearly have no further need for anything, such as a possbile future GW deletion request.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.