Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options For Almost Worst Score

tag
rebuildingmission2013
Contributor

Re: Options For Almost Worst Score

Joeyjazz,

A federal student loan is not a credit based loan. It is based on your ability to get hired after college or training and then payback.  

Edit: Just reread your post stating that you don't qualify.  Why is it that you think you don't qualify?  

Message 31 of 40
joeyjazz

Ok, I realize I was unclear about the FAFSA. You have to be over 24, have a kid, be married or have been in the military. I think there's maybe a couple other things I could be to qualify for it, but I'm none of those. They would want my mother's information and she refuses to provide it. (Apparently the government is tracking you with your SSN. Uh, who gave it to you?) And then they wouldn't let me have any aid because she makes too much. I did it before and I got no aid when she was willing to pay. Now she refuses. So I'm kinda boned with that until I'm 24 (or any of the other things).

I am thinking more about teaching myself something I don't have to pay money for and can still get a job in the field without a degree. Like the programming idea.
Message 32 of 40
fixingitohio
Contributor

You need to go talk to a financial aid counselor.  If your parents refuse to claim you, you can qualify on your own.  Personal experience with a LOT of students in similar situations.

Starting Score: 640 TU / 593 EQ / 596 EX (3/1/13)
Current Score: 695 TU / 725 EQ / 673 EX (11/7/13)
Goal Score: 720 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 33 of 40
joeyjazz

Some questions I forgot to answer: I'm in northern Idaho, I do babysit two girls every weekend, I haven't contacted a counseling agency but I plan to, my mother is pretty strange, I'd rather not go there. Let's just say she is not an option. To clarify, it's not that I don't want to ask her, it's that I have asked her to help and unless she offers, she will say no. I just don't want to get into why she's strange. Also, we've had quite a few "real emergencies", such as when he totaled his car, our only mode of transportation, or when I had to go to the hospital.
Message 34 of 40
rebuildingmission2013
Contributor

My advice is to find secondary income either a job, hobby, or odds and ends through craiglist, church bulletin, or join some interent cliques where money flows freely between users such as Bitcoin.  Also reduce your cost of living to as small as possible, bike or walk if possible, use power cautiously, etc... Once you have a better income to expenses situation where you have budgeted every nickel, then begin the process of getting a secured card and rebuilding credit.  Good Luck. 

Message 35 of 40
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

Then I would definitely speak to a financial aid advisor- if school is something you are interested in right now.  I have a friend who was in a similar situation and they were able to sit with her and work out her options.  Sometimes being there in person makes people more willing to work with/help you than talking with someone over the phone or the internet. 
Whatever you decide, good luck to you!!

@joeyjazz wrote:
Some questions I forgot to answer: I'm in northern Idaho, I do babysit two girls every weekend, I haven't contacted a counseling agency but I plan to, my mother is pretty strange, I'd rather not go there. Let's just say she is not an option. To clarify, it's not that I don't want to ask her, it's that I have asked her to help and unless she offers, she will say no. I just don't want to get into why she's strange. Also, we've had quite a few "real emergencies", such as when he totaled his car, our only mode of transportation, or when I had to go to the hospital.

Mortgage Scores:
11/26/2018 EQ: 542 EX: 610 TU: 548
8/30/2018 EQ: 571 EX: 504 TU: 533
7/30/2018: EQ: 598 EX: 591 TU: 608
4/5/2018 EQ: 543 EX: 522 TU: 467
Message 36 of 40
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

When things were rough.."I searched thrift stores and resold on eBay. I averaged about 200/monthly.

Find additional part time jobs. I worked at Jcpenney for a long while. Call your creditors and work out a pmt plan. Get a roomie.

Sell plasma...twice a week can get you about 200/month. These are just ideas, put pen to paper and get going!
Message 37 of 40
bahbahd
Established Contributor

OP, you may want to read over this page. http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/699-fafsa-and-the-independent-student

All students fill out a FASFA, everyone does it. Those criteria you listed off are only for being declared an independent (vs dependent.) Parents information just has to be on the FASFA form. You get the financial aid, not your mother. Any loans will be in your name.

Are your parents unwilling to provide their information on your FAFSA?    

Quote: "You can’t be considered independent of your parents just because they refuse to help you with the FAFSA. Still, we do understand that in some cases, the parents are not supporting the dependent student at all and refuse to provide their information on the student’s FAFSA. If you’re in that situation, here’s the process:" http://studentaid.ed.gov/fafsa/filling-out#are-your-parents-unwilling

Edit: I just had to go back and reread your original post. You mentioned your FIANCÉ!  Well, there is criteria for you right there - go get married now if you love him and gonna get married anyway. Be declared an independent student and get much better financial aid awards.

Will I need my parents’ information? http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/help/fftoc02k.htm

Quote "As of today are you married?If you can answer Yes to any of the following questions, you are considered an independent student on the 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and you generally will not need to provide your parents’ information."

1.  As of today are you married?

Message 38 of 40
fixingitohio
Contributor

+1 to this.

To clarify, when I said you need to go see a financial aid counselor, I meant one at an educational institution you might be interested in attending. They could walk you through the process and explain options. THAT has nothing to do with debt or consumer counseling.

Just wanted to make that clear. The biggest barrier to college for most is their own doubt in themselves.

One final thing to consider is that a lot of financial aid packages and loans allocate some money towards living expenses while you are taking classes.

While you are "living off a loan" it does take some of the pressure off while you are in school. This is called a refund.

Starting Score: 640 TU / 593 EQ / 596 EX (3/1/13)
Current Score: 695 TU / 725 EQ / 673 EX (11/7/13)
Goal Score: 720 across the board

Message 39 of 40
PBAJ
Established Member

Hi,

I am kind of new to here myself but I do feel your pain and understand. I have just the beginning of this year began to get my credit up as well brought it up 100 pts already and I know exactly what it is like living pay check to pay check every month. I would take one day at a time and manage one credit agency at a time. You will be surprised at what you will be able to get off your report by just taking a close look at what is on there. I have noticed in the short amount of time that I have been fixing mine that alot of things are duplicated. Charge offs normally are sold off so definately keep an eye on that and pay close attention to amounts and little notes they put. Also too if any of the collections are close to the 7 yr mark I would have to say be patient they will come off on their own. Also you did say you were unemployed for four months sometimes that can help to your benefit by just talking to the credit card agency. Never just assume that there is no hope in the situation anything is possible and if you want it enough and fight for it things will get better. However slow they may seem. Its like that saying good things come to those who wait. Here are a few websites that you can check your credit for free creditkarma.com will give you your TU report and score as well as your vantage score. Quizzle.com will give you your experian report and score and creditseasame.com will give you one of them not exactly sure which one. In the mean time try to pay most of your bills on time even for a credit card even if you pay 5 bucks over the minimum it reflects good on your credit. So definately have faith that everything will get better. Take care and good luck!

Starting Score: 574
Current Score: EX 656 TU 679 Vantage 706
Goal Score: 750

Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.