Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ouch...burned by Comenity

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ouch...burned by Comenity

@rostrow416 wrote:

Hey all, i've followed these forums awhile and just wanted to share my recent experience.  I messed up my credit a few years ago, got several cards charged off, nothing really good in my name.  i was able to get all but 2 chargeoffs removed from my credit, and i'm an authorized user on 2 of my wife's cards.  so this year i decided to really work on building my credit, i was in the low to mid 500's across the board.  then i got 3 chargeoffs removed (paid one, won lawsuits on 2 others).  my credit score slowly started going up.  i got 2 cards an indigo mastercard (300 cl) and credit one bank visa (400), as well as a valero gas card (300).  I also got a kohls (300), and walmart (300) cards this summer.

I applied for a Marathon card in June and got the visa with a 1000 limit.  (i realized my wife added me to her victoria secret card years ago, which i guessed was the reason Comenity gave me a better limit).  I got the shopping cart pop up from Venus when ordering my wife a bathing suit, so i apped and got a 750 limit in July.

Caught the bug, and in August i got overstock pop up and got a 4500 limit, hit the luv button and got 4700.  Sportsmans guide visa pop up got me 2500.

Last week i apped for Gamestop and got 350.

this weekend, my sportsmans guide card wasnt going through.  then neither was my overstock.  I called all the Comenity card numbers, all got closed.  0 balances on venus, marathon and gamestop, 300 0 interest for 6 month balance on overstock, and 200 on sportsmans guide.

I called their office, i was told they were closed due to too many inquiries on my credit report.  I have 7 on transunion, 16 on equifax, and 13 on experian.  all cards were permanently closed, but i could feel free to reapply.....really?

right now all my fico scores passed 600 and capital one approved me for a buypowercard.  So whats up with Comenity?  i dont understand why they would give approvals and then take them away, especially when i was using (and paying) for the cards without a problem.

Sorry to hear about it.  Both Comenity and Synchrony Bank have been shuting down accounts lately.  I have multiple cards with both, so it is of concern for me and others.  I have 21 inquires in the last 2 years, but only 8 in the last year, so I've come to dread logging unto my accounts for fear that it will show zero available credit.  You'll  get through this.  Don't know why they make it so easy to apply (SCT), then pull the rug out from under you.  I'm sure that you will continue to get better approvals than Comenity bank and it will seem like only a bad memory. 

Message 11 of 18
haleyjen
Regular Contributor

Eek, I have like 6 cards from them.  Just apped the sportman's visa using the 000 and then last four social trick and got 7-10 days, I'll stop now.  I have a lot of inquiries on TU, but I think only 5 on EQ (two from comenity).

BOA Cash Rewards - $500 Capital One Quicksilver: $750 Merrick Double Your Line Visa.- $1000 Mission Lane: $400 Grain: $875 J Crew: $1100
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haleyjen wrote:

Eek, I have like 6 cards from them.  Just apped the sportman's visa using the 000 and then last four social trick and got 7-10 days, I'll stop now.  I have a lot of inquiries on TU, but I think only 5 on EQ (two from comenity).

Good idea.  I have several cards with exposure over $50k, so I'm not about to apply for anymore cards with them even though now are offering the Williams Sonoma card and I love their stuff. By the way, JCrew is a good card to have with them.  I started out with $350 SL and now my limit is just under $17K.

Message 13 of 18
haleyjen
Regular Contributor

Me too.  Once i close my VS, in like 6 months maybe I'll try Williams Sonoma.

BOA Cash Rewards - $500 Capital One Quicksilver: $750 Merrick Double Your Line Visa.- $1000 Mission Lane: $400 Grain: $875 J Crew: $1100
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haleyjen wrote:

Me too.  Once i close my VS, in like 6 months maybe I'll try Williams Sonoma.

I'm debating closing out Overstock.  I never could get the SCT with them when they were with Barclays, but it has popped up now.  I can find what I need with Amazon, so OV will probably go for Williams Sonoma.

Message 15 of 18
rostrow416
Established Contributor

What's funny is all the cards show the correct credit limit and available credit, so I was pretty confused when they confirmed that they were in fact closed.
AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rostrow416 wrote:
What's funny is all the cards show the correct credit limit and available credit, so I was pretty confused when they confirmed that they were in fact closed.

That's strange.  The available credit should be zero. I know that others have reported cards being closed and receiving offers in the mail to reapply them.  Give it another 6-9 months and you might consider Amazon; they have the same stuff as Overstock.  Gardening for a while should help stablize your credit profile, but I would recommend anymore app sprees.  Both Comenity and Synchrony seem to be more sensitive lately to multiple apps.  My last approval was BoA in July.  Said I would try for NFCU in December, but I may just wait until January of next year.  Rebuilding can sometimes be a slow process; you have what you need to have a successful rebuild.  If I could go back and change some things I would.  The approvals will come to you again...just exercise patience.  Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 18
rostrow416
Established Contributor

I opened overstock because of the preapproval, and the 6 month, 0 interest financing. I will make sure i take all 6 months to pay that balance too. I was planning on gardening anyway, I just wanted to knock out all my apps over the summer, and let all the accounts age, I still have a nice base of cards, I know it would have been better with those comenity visas. Before this I only had 3 accounts I was an au on, and 2 charge offs, a couple closed car loan accounts, not much of a credit profile. I now have 2 store cards and 3 credit cards, I'll be gardening now. Thanks.
AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.