cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Credit Card Debt! Next stage rebuild complete!

tag
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

Out of Credit Card Debt! Next stage rebuild complete!

I am absolutely thrilled right now; I just paid off the last of my credit card debt! At the end of 2019, I realized that money was tighter than I would have liked, and even though I did look at my statements every month. I actually sat down and listed out all my credit cards and all their balances, and I realized that despite my solid FICO scores around 720s, I had way more credit card debt than I was comfortable with (about $37k). I resolved pay it all down within four years. I had a bit of slow start, but between a pay bump and watching literally every penny I spent,plus using the snowball method, I felt like I was making steady progress the entire time. I also prioritized savings and setting funds aside for fun expenses, so I didn't feel like I was depriving myself at all. I'm also not going to lie; the main reason I was able to achieve this at all was the pay bump, which gave me the ability to focus on getting my cc debt paid down and still have something of a cushion that I know I'm very fortunate to have.

Now that the credit card debt is out of the way, I've still got a small personal loan to take care of (will be done by the end of the year), my student loans (pretty high balance), and my mortgage. So, I've still quite a ways to go in my financial journey, but this stage of rebuilding is done!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Out of Credit Card Debt! Next stage rebuild complete!

Nicely done, congratulations!!

Message 2 of 12
Epiki71
Regular Contributor

@blossom_rebuilding wrote:

I am absolutely thrilled right now; I just paid off the last of my credit card debt! At the end of 2019, I realized that money was tighter than I would have liked, and even though I did look at my statements every month. I actually sat down and listed out all my credit cards and all their balances, and I realized that despite my solid FICO scores around 720s, I had way more credit card debt than I was comfortable with (about $37k). I resolved pay it all down within four years. I had a bit of slow start, but between a pay bump and watching literally every penny I spent,plus using the snowball method, I felt like I was making steady progress the entire time. I also prioritized savings and setting funds aside for fun expenses, so I didn't feel like I was depriving myself at all. I'm also not going to lie; the main reason I was able to achieve this at all was the pay bump, which gave me the ability to focus on getting my cc debt paid down and still have something of a cushion that I know I'm very fortunate to have.

Now that the credit card debt is out of the way, I've still got a small personal loan to take care of (will be done by the end of the year), my student loans (pretty high balance), and my mortgage. So, I've still quite a ways to go in my financial journey, but this stage of rebuilding is done!

Op,

Let me start by saying congrats, that's a big step in general, hope you don't go back to that stage ever, thanks for sharing every time I see users here sharing info like this one is very motivational to me.

Last Signature Update: 03/08/2023

Message 3 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Nice job. Thats how its done!

Message 4 of 12
keekers
Established Contributor

Great progress, congrats!

Message 5 of 12
EAT_SLEEP_JEEP
Valued Contributor

Excellent work. Being debt free is worth the hard journey

KEEPER EVERYDAY CARDS/ AMEX CHARLES SCHWAB PLATINUM NPSL/ AMEX GOLD NPSL / AMEX GREEN NPSL/ AMEX EVERYDAY PREFERRED $30,000 CL/ AMEX BLUE BUSINESS PLUS $5000 SL/ AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY $6000 / FIDELITY REWARDS VISA $23,500 SL/ NFCU FLAGSHIP $40,000 CL/ NFCU MORE REWARDS $33,000/WELLS FARGO AUTOGRAPH $8200 CL /

SOCK DRAWERED/ FNBO JEEP CARD $7700/ CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER $3000 SL/ APPLE CARD $6500/ / PAYPAL CREDIT LINE $1700
Message 6 of 12
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on paying off your credit card debt . . . that's a major accomplishment . . . best wishes in paying off your other balances!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 7 of 12
IamWesty12
Frequent Contributor

@blossom_rebuilding wrote:

@blossom_rebuilding great job, this was a HUGE accomplishment.  What a way to rebuild, continued success!

Starting Score: 461
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 775

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 12
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

Congrats! Well done. It feels really good to be out of CC debt.

I had been treading water on cc debt myself, I filed CH 13 but ended up in a 100 percent plan where I paid back all creditors 100 percent. It was a great feeling, and I learned a lot from my experience. The best takeaway for me was that, if I can't afford it, I don't buy it.

Congrats again.

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 9 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats on the debt paydown!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.