Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of the Blue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of the Blue

Got a call from a collection agency, wanting my information, said I had an outstanding balance on a CC from 2006, said they were offering deals since it was the holidays..I said goodbye and hung up.

Pretty wierd since this account never shows up on my reports, could this be a scam or someone chasing a phantom debt? I truly dont remember owing this CC money...The odd thing is...I currently carry one of these cards, I reached out to them and they have no records either.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Re: Out of the Blue

Could be a scam or could be legit.  If it WAS from 2006, it would have been off your reports 7 years from then, and its uncollectable due to its age anyway.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 2 of 4
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

Normally you can spot a scam call a mile away however last month I got a similar call that left a detailed message with the last 4 of my social as well as other details about me and that they were collecting debt. I almost called back (as I happened to be starting to pay off my charge offs around this time) but after doing some searching online found a few references to the number and name given in the message trying to scam people. With something that old I imagine that it was a scam call.

Message 3 of 4
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Got a call from a collection agency, wanting my information, said I had an outstanding balance on a CC from 2006, said they were offering deals since it was the holidays..I said goodbye and hung up.

Pretty wierd since this account never shows up on my reports, could this be a scam or someone chasing a phantom debt? I truly dont remember owing this CC money...The odd thing is...I currently carry one of these cards, I reached out to them and they have no records either.

Sounds like it's most likely a scam, but even if it is a legit CA chasing a phantom debt, it's way belong the statute of limitation on collecting it, so I wouldn't worry about it.

BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.