Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of the dern blue....

tag
rodney0126
Established Member

Re: Out of the dern blue....

As some have obviously missed my point and advice to the poster.....IF the debt is no good anymore, then to simply stop the CA from further bothering anyone..it just takes one simple letter. Ignoring it could (not saying it will) bring unnecessary annoyances down the road.

My personal experience....as I said before...I ignored a Collection before. Can't say for sure if it was a valid, collectible debt or not. I ignored the letters, the letter saying they are taking me to court, the court date letter, and I ignored it all the way. It was hard to ignore when my check got garnished though.

What do I know. I'll keep my mouth shut and start telling everyone to "ignore it". That seems to be the popular response people like to hear.

Message Edited by rodney0126 on 09-04-2008 05:25 AM
All 3 Fico scores 800+
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The FDCPA does state that if you don't DV then the CA can assume the debt is valid.

However, the same doesn't go for a court of law.

Nothing gives them an open door to harass. But yes, if you DV, they'll likely turn up the collection efforts or disappear completely.

TBH, legally, once past SOL it doesn't matter if the debt was yours, you are no longer legally liable for the account.

Once past CRTP, it is past. Never to be reported again, legally.

So, at this point, all the can do is write/call you.

UpTheDernCreek wrote:
Okay, so say that I follow up with a DV and then they provide all the information to me regarding the debt. Doesn't that give them an open doorway to harass me? If I don't respond(until further prompting), they can't claim that I received a letter. I didn't sign for it or anything. How does that validate a debt to a CA? Wouldn't that be like me sending a letter to them and just stating in the body of the letter that if they don't respond to me in 30 days, then the debt is not mine. I think they would just throw it in the trash. I'm not understanding too well. I appreciate your advice. I just need some clarification. This debt is going to be a full 10 yrs old soon and I don't have any intention on paying these garbage sweepers.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Ignore it" is not the popular answer.

If we were talking about a summons to court.........the answer would be completely different.

If we were talking about a debt within CRTP/SOL.......the answer would be completely different.

We are not talking about any of those. We are talking about a 10 year old debt that is past CRTP and SOL. Legally, the only thing the CA can do is write/call the debtor.

DV'ing does not keep them from contacting you. A cease and desist or FOAD letter does.

You are correct, ignoring it could bring further annoyances, such as more letters and/or phone calls.

What you are talking about you ignored and what the poster is talking about are two seperate things.

I don't think any of the more experienced posters here will ever advise anyone to ignore a summons(regardless if debt is past SOL or not) or letter saying they are filing for summons when the debt is within SOL -- that is bad advice.

rodney0126 wrote:
As some have obviously missed my point and advice to the poster.....IF the debt is no good anymore, then to simply stop the CA from further bothering anyone..it just takes one simple letter. Ignoring it could (not saying it will) bring unnecessary annoyances down the road.

My personal experience....as I said before...I ignored a Collection before. Can't say for sure if it was a valid, collectible debt or not. I ignored the letters, the letter saying they are taking me to court, the court date letter, and I ignored it all the way. It was hard to ignore when my check got garnished though.

What do I know. I'll keep my mouth shut and start telling everyone to "ignore it". That seems to be the popular response people like to hear.

Message Edited by rodney0126 on 09-04-2008 05:25 AM

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to once again thank your for your time and opinion. I will take all posts under consideration as I am not savvy when it comes to dealing with CA's. I do appreciate the responses I get on this forum. You guys and gals have given me a lot of insight into how to handle my credit issues in the past. I have managed to get numerous inaccuracies deleted from my reports since I joined this forum. As they like to say, in Arkansas where I have moved to from the great northeast, I appreciate ya! Toodles Smiley Wink
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, you are getting some of this wonderful, nasty, wet weather we are getting here in Missouri.

Lucky you.

UpTheDernCreek wrote:
 in Arkansas where I have moved to from the great northeast, I appreciate ya! Toodles Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It has been raining for the past 4 days or so now. I happen to love rain and snow, but Arkansans get nervous. They don't know the meaning of bad weather. This makes me miss home all the more.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.