Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlooked internet bill resulting in 120+day late and 100 point score drop

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Overlooked internet bill resulting in 120+day late and 100 point score drop

Hey there, hoping someone can give me some advice.

After 8 years of rebuilding credit from a job loss and debt settlement, from the 500s  to the high 780s, I was blown away to find a huge drop due to an overlooked bill that fell off of auto-payment.

About a year ago I broke up with my fiance, and he kept the house, and took over payments of utilities, including internet through Frontier.  He tried putting it in his name, but we couldn't get the dots connected between CSRs to make it happen.  They wouldn't let him or I change service into the others' name.

Apparently during this the auto-pay got cancelled.  They called me once or twice to make payment, and I gave the info to my ex, who ultimately failed to remember to make it.

Somehow the bills were getting tossed too.

Oddly they let him cancel and switch to comcast without clearing up the balance.

All-in-all a bunch of irresponsibility on our parts to stay on top of the bill, while I assumed my ex would deal with, and he assumed it was on auto pay, or he'd eventually get to it.

Bottom line, (both he and I) would be more than happy to pay this up, he said he'd pay double just to fix my credit report, he feels really really bad.

Both of us will do whatever it takes to get the whole thing off my CR.  Looking for advice on the path I need to take, and the language I need to use.  The CSR I talked to said they will delete the balance if I pay, but I think it still leaves the late payments.  I spent way too much time fixing my scores to let this go.

Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Overlooked internet bill resulting in 120+day late and 100 point score drop

The path is to make good-will requests to the creditors.

Perhaps a personal phone call to someone in their executive office, with a few well-placed crocodile tears to solicit sympathy.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Overlooked internet bill resulting in 120+day late and 100 point score drop

They offered a PFD, why not just TAKE what was offered vs creating drama that doesn't exist yet.

There are no lates as it wasn't a monthly revolver, it sounds like an overdue utility that just wants their money...Take em up on their offer to delete and get on with life
Looks​ like at 780 you're doing fine 😇
This will pass and you'll get your score back 👌
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.