cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD Letter Feedback Needed

tag
missmel

PFD Letter Feedback Needed

Writing my first PFD letter for my husband for $105 debt that Jefferson Capital Systems CA is trying to collect for Washington Mutual Checking. The debt is appearing as a CO on his credit report by Experian and as a collection account/seriously past due by TransUnion (though not as a CO by them).

My husband called the CA and they offered that he could pay $74.19 and they would delete the trade lines from his CR. Because Washington Mutual is now Chase there is no way to pay the OC in this case.

He was able to dig through some type of Chase records and find out this was some sort of overdraft/check written after he closed a joint account with his former wife. He still had a personal account with WaMu but said he was never notified of this amount and only now is finding out about it. 

I thought a PFD offering to pay the amount above they asked for would be a good start? Does anyone have any feedback on the below letter? feel free to rip it up- I got bits and pieces from letters I found on the forums. One main question I had was the sample letters referred to an account number. We only have the partial original account number with WaMu that appears on the trade lines but when he called Jefferson Capital Systems they found him by his name alone and did not provide an account number. Would be better to reference the portion of the original account number t I have (see the bold areas in the letter below) or call the CA back to find out his account number with them? ANY help would be appreciated! I want to send this out certified early next week! 

September 27th, 2013

Tim XXXX

address

CITY, STATE ZIP

Jefferson Capital Systems

16 McLeland Rd

Saint Cloud, MN 56303

Re: Collection Account for ****************************

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is not to be construed as an acknowledgment of my liability for this debt in any form, but rather an attempt to amicably settle the remaining balance owed on the following account:

Collection Account for *************************************

The total amount owed on the account is $105. I will pay Jefferson Capital Systems the amount of $74.19 as complete settlement of this account, provided that you explicitly agree to each and every point listed as follows:

1. Jefferson Capital Systems (hereafter "JCS") agrees to accept payment of $74.19 as an agreed full and final settlement of all outstanding charges and fees on Collection Account for **********************

2. JCS agrees to permanently cease any and all attempts to collect on Account for ****************************

either directly or through a collection agency.

3. JCS agrees not to sell the debts owed on Account for******************************************to any third party, since JCS would recognize the account as being paid in full.

4. JCS agrees to completely delete all references to Account for *******************************************from any and all credit reporting agencies, including, but not limited to, Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Complete deletion of all account references to Account for**********************************************will be completed within TEN days of receipt of payment without delay, since certified funds will be sent promptly upon receipt of your acceptance of this offer.

5. Upon complete deletion of all references to Account for **********************************************pursuant to point 4 referenced above, JCS agrees not to discuss or report Account for*************************************** with any third party, including, but not limited to:

a. All credit reporting agencies, AND

b. All collection agencies

6. JCS will provide******** ith a copy of the Universal Data Form JCS transmits to each credit reporting agency showing the deletion requests and/or a signed, dated letter confirming that JCS has notified each credit reporting agency requesting the deletion.

7. This agreement is binding upon both parties.

If you agree to points 1 through 7 listed in this settlement offer, please have an individual authorized to make such agreements on behalf of JCS sign and return a copy of this offer to the return address listed at the bottom of this page. Upon receipt of this agreement,********* will promptly send you a certified check in the amount of $74.19. The individual who signs on behalf of JCS must have express authority to make such agreements binding upon JCS or the agreement is void.

I look forward to resolving this matter in the best interests of both parties. I think this is a fair offer, and it is entirely within the rights and legal obligations of both parties to do this.

Thank you very much for your time in this matter, and I will await your response.

Sincerely,

Notice: This agreement is restricted to the terms stated herein. This is not a renewed promise to pay, but rather a restricted settlement offer only. Failure to respond within 30 days of the date of this letter will terminate this settlement offer.

Creditor's Authorized Signature: __________________________________

Date: _____________

Name: ___________________________________

Title: ____________________________________

This agreement may be sent to the following address:

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE ZIPCODE

Edited to remove personal information.  guiness56, myFICO Moderator.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
themizlyne
Regular Contributor

Re: PFD Letter Feedback Needed

It needs to be much shorter and nicer. You're asking for a favor, so you don't want to demand anything. Something like: I would like to offer xx if you would delete this account from my credit reports. Please respond to (name address). Thank you.
Message 2 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I agree.  This is a horrible format to use. 

Short and sweet, to the point.  Leave out all the stuff giving time limits, who they can and cannot talk to etc.

Message 3 of 8
missmel

thank you so much for your helpful feedback guiness56 &  themizlyne. I think I went with that longer version thinking if I didn't get nitty gritty with the details they would somehow take my payment and just mark paid in full on the TL on his CR and not actually delete entirely. 

sorry for the long delay in response some more urgent credit matters have reared their ugly heads this week and this $105 collection had to take the back burner. I also decided I would just offer the full amount of $105 since we are talking like an extra $30 up from their $74.19 and the last thing I want is for the TL to be updated to settled for less than full amount. Here is the new letter (hopefully improved!) I think it is much less threatening and straight forward, and much shorter! Please let me know if you think there is anything I am definately missing or need to leave out. Hoping this second letter will work Smiley Happy 

October 6th, 2013

Tim XXXX

address

CITY, STATE ZIP

Jefferson Capital Systems

16 McLeland Rd

Saint Cloud, MN 56303

Re: Collection Account for ****************************

Balance: $105

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is in response to the above referenced account listed on my Experian and Transunion credit report that is listed as past due and charged off. Please be aware that this is not an acknowledgment nor acceptance of responsibility for the debt.

In order to rectify this matter as soon as possible, I am willing to pay this debt in full in return for your agreement to completely delete this account and all references from the credit reporting agencies (Equifax, TransUnion & Experian). The purpose of this offer is merely to have this item removed from my credit files. As the company reporting to the credit agencies, by law you have full authority to do this.

Upon receiving your letter, I will promptly send payment of $105 in the form of a certified check. Please feel free to contact me at the address written above, as I prefer to have all correspondence in writing.

Thank you,  

Tim XXXXX

Message 4 of 8
missmel

just trying to bump this to the top- does anyone have ANY feedback on this? really want to get this sent out today if the community thinks it is ok! I REALLY appreciate all of the advise and infomation I am able to get on these boards- it certainly makes me feel less alone and frustrated with this process!! 

Message 5 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor
Message 6 of 8
missmel

thank you so much guiness56! I will send this out first thing in the morning and update the thread when I hear back! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.