Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD Refused; should i pay anyways???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PFD Refused; should i pay anyways???

I have an old collection from Interstate Credit Collections for $60. Last update was 11/2009. I called and asked for PFD and they said no, but they would delete it and mark it paid. I told them no thanks as it will drop from my report soon enough. Did I do the right thing or I should i call them back and pay the $60? Trying to be responsible for my credit I feel like I should pay it, but from a credit score point of view I dont see how paying the $60 will benefit me.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: PFD Refused; should i pay anyways???

No need to mess up your score with an update by paying it if it's about to drop off.  If you feel a moral obligation, nothing will prevent you from paying it after the 7 year reporting limit has passed.  

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Point. Ill make note to send them a Christmas gift in 2017. 

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

An unpaid, delinquent debt can always, in and of itself, be basis for a creditor to deny new credit.

Credit report exclusion does not prevent them from still becoming aware of the debt.

Other than $ out of wallet, it is alwasy beneficial to have no unpaid, delinquent debt.

You can usually get a settlement for a low percent of the total debt once out of SOL and excluded from cedit reporting.

I would still pay.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it out of the Statute of Limitations? When will it fall off?

If you can't be sued and it is coming off, you can take what you are being advised to pay and simply go over to your toliet and flush the money down the drain.

Additionally, have you had them verify the debt?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.