Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD and scared

tag
Yoli14
Regular Contributor

PFD and scared

My letter is ready to go but I'm hesitating wheather I should my PFD letter to the CA. I am affraid I might wake a sleeping gaint. If my offer gets rejected, can the CA update on my CR?

Thank you.

Myfico on 02/21/12
Trans: 538 EQ: 591 Ex???
Myfico on 10/09/12
Trans: 600 EQ 602 EX???
Lender Pull 04/15/13
Trans 680, EQ 644, Ex 608
"I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it"
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gemntheholigram
Valued Member

Re: PFD and scared

The PFD letters qualify as a 'dispute'. So the CA can update the status and cause a score drop. This happened to me with JCP awhile back. I sent a goodwill letter asking for a 30 day late from 2009 be removed....

What are the specifics on this debt? Are they seeking payments or what.

Message 2 of 8
beb86
Valued Contributor

Its really just the risk you take... you can send a GW letter out that say's im so sorry can you change this blah blah blah and the can mark it as a dispute (happened to me), yes they may also update but I see it as a risk that is worth it to take since the (+) outweight the (-). good luck!!

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A PFD request does not qualify as a dispute unless you state in your letter that it is a direct dispute, and present some assertion and documentation of an inaccuracy in their credit reporting.  If you did not clearly state that it is a dispute, treatment of it as such is improper.

Yes, some debt collectors may erroneously consider a PFD request as a dispute, particularly if it includes assertions of inaccuracies.  It is best for that reason, and also in view of the fact that a PFD is a type of good-will request, to avoid contentious statements in your request.  I suggest including a paragraph in your letter specifically stating that your communication is NOT a dispute of their credit reporting.

If you dispute, send a dispute, clearly labeled as such..  If you are requesting deletion in exchange for payment, leave out the discussion of how or why their collection or reporting is inaccurate.

Message 4 of 8
Yoli14
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

A PFD request does not qualify as a dispute unless you state in your letter that it is a direct dispute, and present some assertion and documentation of an inaccuracy in their credit reporting.  If you did not clearly state that it is a dispute, treatment of it as such is improper.

Yes, some debt collectors may erroneously consider a PFD request as a dispute, particularly if it includes assertions of inaccuracies.  It is best for that reason, and also in view of the fact that a PFD is a type of good-will request, to avoid contentious statements in your request.  I suggest including a paragraph in your letter specifically stating that your communication is NOT a dispute of their credit reporting.

If you dispute, send a dispute, clearly labeled as such..  If you are requesting deletion in exchange for payment, leave out the discussion of how or why their collection or reporting is inaccurate.

The letter doesn't state anything about disputing, just an offer to pay in exchange of  a deletion.

Myfico on 02/21/12
Myfico on 10/09/12
Lender Pull 04/15/13
"I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it"
Message 5 of 8
Yoli14
Regular Contributor

@gemntheholigram wrote:

The PFD letters qualify as a 'dispute'. So the CA can update the status and cause a score drop. This happened to me with JCP awhile back. I sent a goodwill letter asking for a 30 day late from 2009 be removed....

It's a student loan for a 100 bucks 

Myfico on 02/21/12
Myfico on 10/09/12
Lender Pull 04/15/13
Message 6 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Neither a PFD or a GW is a dispute, unless you word that in them, or sometimes some of the creditors now take everything you send as a dispute.  It's kind of a crap shoot, but you can improve your odds by choosing your words carefully.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 8
beb86
Valued Contributor

@Yoli14 wrote:

@gemntheholigram wrote:

It's a student loan for a 100 bucks 

I'd say you have a pretty good shot.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.