cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD via Fax. Pay over Phone. Take It?

tag
rellim61

PFD via Fax. Pay over Phone. Take It?

I called CMRE this morning to pay off an old debt of mine that's been showing up on my credit.   Similar to other's I've seen, they offered me a PFD on the spot. I asked for it in writing. She said she would fax it to me and she did after a few hours.  It's a basic letter titled "Release of Claim" with my account info, total due, etc.  Within it says "If your account(s) has been reported the the credit bureaus, and as a courtesy to you, we will delete the entry within 30 days of the date your payment is received." She claimed that I needed to call her back directly and pay with Credit or Debit card and the letter also said it will expire in 1 day from today.  

1. Is a PFD via fax valid? She "kind of" signed it - she hand wrote her name, and the typed version was "Collection Department"
  2. Is paying over the phone via credit card okay? (I heard never to give bank account info to CAs, but if I use a CC is that safer?)
  3. Is it odd that it "expires in one (1) day"? Or is that just their scare tactic?

The closing of the letter says "Please sign and return this letter with the remittance. Your signature constitutes agreement with all the foregoing."  

So, should I:

1. pay up over the phone, and mail this back in with a copy of CC receipt..
  2. Pay with a check using this form - it just wont' get there in the "1 day"
  3. Do something else?

I'm not disputing anything here, and plan to pay in full all at once.  I just don't want to get jacked around and also need to have this credit hit deleted.  I've read that CMRE is pretty decent and so far, so good, but don't trust anyone in this industry.

Thanks in advance!!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
rellim61

Re: PFD from CMRE via Fax & Pay over Phone. Take It?

Anyone?  I'd love to get some insight on this.

Message 2 of 13
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@rellim61 wrote:

Anyone?  I'd love to get some insight on this.

If I was me I would just pay it and accept this deal as is, I haven't been burned by any failure to delete at this point, even oral ones... but I guess its subjective..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 13
rellim61

Thanks Scott. That's what my gut is saying too as I don't otherwise have any reason to not take them at their word (verbal and written) . . . until I read up all the stories, warnings and other tactics here on these forums.  Just don't want to do something silly, to have everyone come back in 3 months saying "Well, you did this wrong, and that wrong.  You should have done that and then this . . . "

Message 4 of 13
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

yes, as long as you have a trail showing that they agreed to delete, then you can always come back later and be like "Y U NO DELETE?!?!"

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 5 of 13
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@rellim61 wrote:

Thanks Scott. That's what my gut is saying too as I don't otherwise have any reason to not take them at their word (verbal and written) . . . until I read up all the stories, warnings and other tactics here on these forums.  Just don't want to do something silly, to have everyone come back in 3 months saying "Well, you did this wrong, and that wrong.  You should have done that and then this . . . "

This whole repair process is subjective... I have found the more stipulations you require a collection company to adhere to, the less they want to work wtih you.. A lot of people say everything needs a paper trail, and I get it.. A lot of people say to never pay unless they agree to delete ahead of time, and I get that too..

I just don't work that way. If I am stonewalled, I will do another approach.. you will find what works best for you.. if a company told me ther would PFD, and I have it in written, I think I am golden.. If they don;'t delete it or lie? well, I guess cross that bridge if you come to it.. but truth be told, that little letter isn't gonna help me because if someone doesn't delete after saying they will, and I get sick of wrestling with them,I'd probably just move on to another bad mark..

What worked for me might not work for you, or other ect ect

-scott

Message 6 of 13
Comet21
Regular Contributor

I did a  PFD over fax before. It was for a different company but it was removed. It was a weird situation from an apartment I shared with two other guys in college. It was showing for the whole amount on each of our accounts. I took a deal to pay half of the amount owed for PFD. I do not know hat happened on their reports.

Starting Score: TU 477 EQ 533 BK 1/27/2012
Current Score: EX 702 TU 681 EQ 652 1/10/2014
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PFD via Fax. Pay over Phone. Take It?

I just did a PFD over the phone after contacting the CEO to plead my case. I feel good about it and think they will make good on their promise to delete. *fingers crossed*
Message 8 of 13
rellim61

Thanks everyone.  As scheduled, CA called me the very next day (she called the afternoon earlier, and would have expected daily calls now that I reached out to them)  Anyway, I ended up paying with a CC over the phone.  She said they would mail me a receipt/statement along with a letter of some sort explaining the deletion. Then at around the 30day mark, they would submit the deletion to the credit agencies.  I'll be pulling my CR around then to double check. 

She was nice, cordial and pretty helpful in explaining how things would work, etc.  Sure beats the horror stories we hear.  Makes me wonder if all of them acted like this, they'd get more cooporation by us - when valid of course.

But of course, I'm reserving final judgement till after that deletion goes through.  I'll be back to update things as I learn them.

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 13
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@rellim61 wrote:

Thanks everyone.  As scheduled, CA called me the very next day (she called the afternoon earlier, and would have expected daily calls now that I reached out to them)  Anyway, I ended up paying with a CC over the phone.  She said they would mail me a receipt/statement along with a letter of some sort explaining the deletion. Then at around the 30day mark, they would submit the deletion to the credit agencies.  I'll be pulling my CR around then to double check. 

She was nice, cordial and pretty helpful in explaining how things would work, etc.  Sure beats the horror stories we hear.  Makes me wonder if all of them acted like this, they'd get more cooporation by us - when valid of course.

But of course, I'm reserving final judgement till after that deletion goes through.  I'll be back to update things as I learn them.

Thanks again.

if they say they will remove it in 30 days, I would wait at least 45 to pull my reports, it could take a little time..

-scott

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.