cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIF or Settle?

Highlighted
Established Member

PIF or Settle?

I have an old charged off CC bill that just reappeared on my credit report and dropped me a bunch. The balance is 1400 mol, they offered to settle for 1000, but told me it would look worse to settle than to PIF. I have the money for the settlement now, but would have to pay the full balance off over a few months. Which one is better? A CO account already hurts me, is it so much better to pay it out than it is to just settle and be done with it? And could the person who got the Cap One settlement taken off their report call and work the same wonders on this one for me?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: PIF or Settle?

Oh...I'm sure they do want you to PIF.  Tell them you'll be happy to...PFD!!   Paid or not, if the CO remains...your score suffers. 

Ask me how I know!!Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 02/2015 TU 709 - EQ 676 - EX 729
Current Score: 12/2017 TU 779 - EQ 779 - EX 782
Goal Score: 850

Bury me in the garden...last app 07.27.17

Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
Established Member

How do I do a PFD? I'm new to this whole thing, so excuse my ignorance. What do I need to say to get them to agree to that?
Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Ok...let me ask...who contacted you to pay?  The original creditor or a collection agency??  That makes a difference.

BTW....PFD is...pay for deletion.  You'll pay if they remove either negative information/or entire tradeline.

Also:  Great link to read & save til you're familiar.

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 06-26-2008 02:37 PM

Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Established Member

I called the original creditor on the account after it popped back up on my FICO report. They immediately offered to settle for $1000 or let me pay it out over 4 months at 0% interest. I told them I would have to do more research into the validity of the debt before I would pay anything.
Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

the_Mom wrote:
I called the original creditor on the account after it popped back up on my FICO report. They immediately offered to settle for $1000 or let me pay it out over 4 months at 0% interest. I told them I would have to do more research into the validity of the debt before I would pay anything.

Is this your debt??  And there is no collection agency involved?

Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Established Member

It is my husband's debt. So, yes.
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

If I were you, I'd write to the OC & ask that all negative comments be removed for payoff in full.  Don't expect them to delete bad info for a settlement.  Give them all their $$.

There is a way of asking for this & I never had to.  Someone reading this who's more familiar will guide you on that.

Mo~

Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

the_Mom wrote:
I have an old charged off CC bill that just reappeared on my credit report and dropped me a bunch. The balance is 1400 mol, they offered to settle for 1000, but told me it would look worse to settle than to PIF. I have the money for the settlement now, but would have to pay the full balance off over a few months. Which one is better? A CO account already hurts me, is it so much better to pay it out than it is to just settle and be done with it? And could the person who got the Cap One settlement taken off their report call and work the same wonders on this one for me?

What is DOFD, DOLA, and SOL on the account?

I believe Cap One has a program that allows you to reopen the account or a new account once you pay your old one off. You might be able to work something out if they let you do that.

How old is the account? Since the OC is reporting, you may not want it deleted.

Otherwise, you can write a modified PFD letter that states that once you PIF they will remove all negative comments with the account.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.