cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMAB and PFD

tag
boredmommy

PMAB and PFD

I called PMAB after no response to the PFDs I mailed. They have (4) medical accounts totaling $490. The gentleman I spoke with immediately said that they would gladly do a deletion once payment was received in full. I can pay in full but of course, I hesitated because he claimed it was against policy to provide this in writing to me prior to payment. He tried reassuring me that this was their company policy to get payment first, he indicated that they do deletions upon request on a regular basis. He also threw in that the calls were being recorded and that they are BBB accredited and held to a high standard. Well, it wasn't enough for me but ...

I'm hearing the same from every company I contact by phone. A little less than two weeks back when I was working on my husband's report, I got the same speech and because I just wanted to clear the debt itself, I relented and paid even though the company would not send me written documentation in advance that they would delete. The woman I spoke to at the time was so pleasant (in direct contrast to what I'm accustomed to when it comes to collections) and she basically said, "I've worked here a long time, we do what we say. I know how important this is, trust me." Seriously. I trusted her. Sounds funny, especially since I am a huge skeptic. But she also threw in that they value their partnership with the hospital in question and wouldn't want to jeopardize their standing. Lo and behold, she was true to her word. The letter came in today's mail. The credit report hasn't updated yet, as far as I know. But I anticipate that it will. The letter is very clear in terms that the debt was zeroed out and the account will be deleted from my reports.

So, my question is, have others taken the chance? Was the experience ultimately positive? I might just take a chance with one or two more, see how it goes. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
AVeryHappyDad
Valued Member

Re: PMAB and PFD

I have taken the chance, and gotten good response from more than one, but two burned me on it.  Write down the date, time, and person you spoke to, for the call on which they agree to delete.  If they do not delete the item, as agreed to, on their recording, you have recourse in court, for violation of a verbal contract.  The hard part would be you would have to prove damages, which could be as simple as a credit card turndown, or a difference in interest rate calculated vs. debt over a period of time.  Also, it would be a great place to start for a BBB or State AG complaint.  Remember, the call recording statement that they give works for you, as well.

AMEX Platinum NPSL, NFCU Flagship 25K, NFCU Navchek 15K, Amex Everyday 5K, Chase Freedom 5K, Citi AAdvantage World MC 5K, Barclays USAir 5K, USAA Amex 1K, Cap1 QS 300
Message 2 of 3
boredmommy

Re: PMAB and PFD

That the recorded call works in my favor too is basically what they've each tried to reassure me. I may swallow hard, bite the bullet and call back a couple of the ones that insisted they couldn't send it to me in writing in advance. I'm crossing my fingers that they really are bound by ethics or more importantly, that they give a darn.

Would love to know if others have had success with companies who wouldn't send agreement first.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.