cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid ATT directly, ERC still reporting collection...how do I get this removed?

tag
kingkai1990
Contributor

Paid ATT directly, ERC still reporting collection...how do I get this removed?

Long story short, had ATT Uverse, switched services and thought I paid the final bill. 2 years later, try to upgrade my iPhone and ATT said I still owed them from uverse (like $100). Asked if it would be off my credit report, they said yes and paid ATT DIRECTLY. Recently looked at my credit report and ERC is showing the debt but paid. How do I get this removed? Dispute it? Send a letter? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Paid ATT directly, ERC still reporting collection...how do I get this removed?

How long ago did you pay it?  I would contact ATT to discuss what you were told when you made the payment.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid ATT directly, ERC still reporting collection...how do I get this removed?

@kingkai1990 wrote:

Long story short, had ATT Uverse, switched services and thought I paid the final bill. 2 years later, try to upgrade my iPhone and ATT said I still owed them from uverse (like $100). Asked if it would be off my credit report, they said yes and paid ATT DIRECTLY. Recently looked at my credit report and ERC is showing the debt but paid. How do I get this removed? Dispute it? Send a letter? 

As long as ERC had collection authority at the time you paid AT&T then they do not have to remove their reporting of the account only to show it as paid. When paying an OC ask them to recall the collection from the CA so this does not happen.
Message 3 of 6
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

GW letters to ERC asking for deletion.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would dispute it with the CA.  ERC pulled one on me and i sent them a DV.  They never responded so I called the CA's to place a dispute.  In less than a month, they all dropped off my report.  I would also provide the CA with proof of payment and ask ATT to provide you with something in writing that this is paid.  Another route is to ask ATT to have ERC delete the report.  Either way, if ERC can't verify that the debt is yours... they are required to remove it from your credit profile.

Message 5 of 6
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

AT&T can't force ERC to delete the account from the reports. And sending proof of payment to the CRAs won't help. The receipt will show a date that is after ERC acquired collection authority which will only get the account updated to paid with a zero balance if it hasn't already been done. CRA policy is to not delete for payment so the CRA's won't delete the account. A dispute may work, but there's no guarantee that it will since ERC can just validate that they had collection authority when it was paid. And since it was paid that can be considered as to the OP verifying the debt was theirs.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.