Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Charge-offs and No collections. I'm confused

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid Charge-offs and No collections. I'm confused

Hello,

I am starting to rebuild my credit after I nearly destroyed it 2-3 years ago and for the most part I am doing pretty well, but I have a question regarding charge-offs.

Currently,  I have 7 charge-offs in my credit report from 2019.  I paid five of them in full about a year ago, and I am currently paying the last remaining 2 charge-offs in weekly payments. I didn't think of asking for pay -for- delete settlements (In retrospect I should have).  All 7 charge-offs were sent to debt collectors, but no collection ever showed in any of my credit reports I'm guessing because I  contact them as soon as I could make payments on the account.

My question is: Since I am paying my last 2 charge-offs to debt collectors, and these debt collectors are not reporting a collection in my credit report. Should I continue to pay and just wait the seven years for all of them to fall off my reports?  or is there any chance that after I paid them I can get the charge-offs to be deleted by disputing?  As of right now, 5 out of the 7 charge-offs haven't updated my report to reflect that I paid them in full.

I'll be happy to provide more information since I realize my story is a bit vague and probably missing key details.

Thank you, everyone and I appreciate your time.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Paid Charge-offs and No collections. I'm confused

No, never dispute accurate reporting. It'll only hurt you. Even if you had tried to negotiate a PFD on the charge offs, it's highly unlikely you would've gotten any agreements. PFDs are generally only useful with collection agencies, not original creditors. It's extremely difficult to get an original creditor to agree to a PFD.

In your case, all you can really do is finish paying and try sending letters to all your creditors and ask them for a "GW deletion." They may or may not do you the favor of deleting the negative TLs. That's your only option besides waiting the 7 years.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.