Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid OC but CA is reporting as "Paid Collection"

tag
broadnms
Established Member

Paid OC but CA is reporting as "Paid Collection"

Good morning everyone!

I had an old account with COX Communications that was paid earlier this month (Jan 2023). However, despite the OC taking the full payment, the collections process had already started, and my account had been transferred to Berlin-Wheeler.

I received the Equifax alert 2 weeks after payment; however Berlin-Wheeler is reporting it as a paid collection. Are CA's allowed to report this entry as a paid collection if the OC received the final payment?

Thank you in advance!

Starting Score: EQ-590: TU-602: EX-613
Current Score: EQ-590(Jan '23): TU-602(Jan '23): EX-613(Jan '23)
Goal Score: EQ-630: TU-650: EX-620

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Paid OC but CA is reporting as "Paid Collection"

Yes they can. To avoid things like this in the future you need to have the OC recall the debt before paying. Once recalled it can't be reported by the CA. All the CA is doing is updating status of their account. 

Message 2 of 6
TortyJane

Okay while that makes sense, what if the collection appeared right after or about the same time that the payment was made? I'm in a similar bind. I paid a bill to an insurance company, the creditor, directly. A few days later, I noticed a new collection account. I called the original creditor and they confirmed they (the OC) owned the account and that it was paid. I called the CA and they confirmed it was paid but nothing changed nor would they remove it. So I disputed it... they changed the notes on my CR to paid, but there's a single month showing it as a collection. Just one month... but it's still hitting as a collection for no good reason.

Now what?

Message 3 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@TortyJaneIf you can prove that the CA listed themselves after the date you paid the OC. That may be in your favor. Is it 100%? Maybe, maybe not. If the date the CA placed themselves on your credit report was after payment. You could dispute that the CA listed themselves on a paid account to the CRA's. Sticky point is did the OC sell the account to the CA. Call and ask the OC of they still owned the debt when you paid.

Message 4 of 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@TortyJane wrote:

Okay while that makes sense, what if the collection appeared right after or about the same time that the payment was made? I'm in a similar bind. I paid a bill to an insurance company, the creditor, directly. A few days later, I noticed a new collection account. I called the original creditor and they confirmed they (the OC) owned the account and that it was paid. I called the CA and they confirmed it was paid but nothing changed nor would they remove it. So I disputed it... they changed the notes on my CR to paid, but there's a single month showing it as a collection. Just one month... but it's still hitting as a collection for no good reason.

Now what?

You're misunderstanding ownership in this situation. Many non-lenders, like utilities, retain ownership of the debt but hire a collection agency to recover funds. My response above still applies. The oc needed to recall that debt before payment was made. Since the CA was assigned prior to you paying they're simply reporting the current account status. There's nothing erroneous. It's just one of those situations where how are you supposed to know if you didn't know. Since the CA is refusing to remove, continuing to dispute will cause the derogatory to "refresh". Basically, every time it's updated as correct, you'll be dinged for a new recent derogatory. The only thing you can do is launch a goodwill campaign and bug them until they decide to remove it. 

Message 5 of 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@TortyJaneIf you can prove that the CA listed themselves after the date you paid the OC. That may be in your favor. Is it 100%? Maybe, maybe not. If the date the CA placed themselves on your credit report was after payment. You could dispute that the CA listed themselves on a paid account to the CRA's. Sticky point is did the OC sell the account to the CA. Call and ask the OC of they still owned the debt when you paid.

Date of reporting has no impact on whether the CA had authority to collect. All they have to show is when they received the contract versus when the debt was paid. If they were contracted prior to payment the reported collection is legitimate. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.