cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Off Judgement

tag
TacklingDebt

Paid Off Judgement

Two years ago I got a notice that my wages would be garnished to pay an old CC bill. The CA got their money, but the judgement still remains on my report. I called Santa Monica's Co. Clerk to ask them the steps I needed to do to get it off my report. They said they couldn't do anything and had to get into contact with the CA.

I just want it off my report at all costs.

It's with UNIFUND and I still have a balance with them for the crazy fees they charge. I'm willing to even settle with them to vacate the judgement. 

Any ideas how I should proceed? PFD with their existing fees?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Paid Off Judgement

Was the judgment actually satisfied?  If the actual judgment amount was satisfied they have to tell the courts it was satisfied.  They only have a certain amount of time to do that.

If you still owe them money that is a separate issue.

Message 2 of 21
PeacefulP
Regular Contributor

Guiness, would you elaborate on the time limit that CAs have to report a judgment as satisfied?

OP, I've read threads in this forum where people contacted the attorney who filed the judgment and requested they vacate it.
Starting Score: TU 634 EQ 614 EX 648 5/20/13
Current Score: TU 631 EQ 643 EX 641 8/7/13 (All Lender Pulled)
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 3 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It varies by state law but generally within 30 days of paying it off.  Some states could be longer.

Message 4 of 21
TacklingDebt

They still show a balance of $1,500 when my orginal balance was about $2,500. The status is blank of my EQ report.

I called the clerk who was completely clueless what to do.

I don't want to call Unifund, but I'm thinking about it.

Message 5 of 21
PeacefulP
Regular Contributor

And if they don't? My husband paid a judgment 3 years ago and they never reported it paid. Sorry OP, not trying to hijack your thread.
Starting Score: TU 634 EQ 614 EX 648 5/20/13
Current Score: TU 631 EQ 643 EX 641 8/7/13 (All Lender Pulled)
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 6 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@PeacefulP wrote:
And if they don't? My husband paid a judgment 3 years ago and they never reported it paid. Sorry OP, not trying to hijack your thread.

Contact the judgment attorney and tell them to send the paperwork to the court house.

Message 7 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@TacklingDebt wrote:

They still show a balance of $1,500 when my orginal balance was about $2,500. The status is blank of my EQ report.

I called the clerk who was completely clueless what to do.

I don't want to call Unifund, but I'm thinking about it.

Did they include all the interest and fees in the judgment amount?

I would contact them and ask to settle the rest.

Message 8 of 21
TacklingDebt

@guiness56 wrote:

@PeacefulP wrote:

Contact the judgment attorney and tell them to send the paperwork to the court house.

Is this something you would advise doing yourself? Filling out the court document or is it worth the attorney fees?

I found the form I could potentially send on my own here:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/12726.htm

Message 9 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You can do it yourself but the courts still need the ok of the plaintiff.  There would be no attorney fees for doing it yourself, just filing fees.

If the judgment isn't paid they probably won't vacate it.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.