Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Progressive collection

tag
ThetoriParadox
Frequent Contributor

Paid Progressive collection

I had owed Progressive 80 bucks for an old policy that I had no idea about, and still have an active policy with them, until a CA appeared on my CR.

I chatted with a rep online about it and she said if I paid it to them the CA would be removed. I have the transcript of the chat and I verified that they keep them on record as well.

So I paid it directly to Progressive and the CA updated to PAID. Who would I contact about getting this removed? 

Thanks guys!

RE-BUILD 2.0
Venmo Card- Mission Lane-Cap1 Walmart- Amex Optima- Cap1 QS- Cap 1 QS1- NFCU Nrewards Secured- Williams Sonoma- Care Credit- Grain- scores hovering around 644-653
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
martypav7
Contributor

Re: Paid Progressive collection

whos your CA?

Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A chat per se with the creditor does not establish any statutory or regulatory requirment on the part of the debt collector to delete their reported collection.  It is, at best, only an indication on their part that they will intervene and request the debt collector delete.

Once a debt collector obtains legit collection authority, they have the right to independently report their collection to the CRAs.

That reporting is totally separate from the original creditor.  The original credit cannot then enter into a contract agreement with the consumer that requires deletion of the reporting made by the debt collector that is binding upon the debt collector.

In fact, the debt collector has a separate credit reporting contract with the CRAs that includes their agreement not to delete their reporting based on subsequent payment of the debt.

The debt collector is required, upon notice from the creditor that the debt has been paid, to close their collection and update the balance to $0.  

There is, however, one scenarion in which a debt collector is required to report deletion of their collection.

The CRA reporting policy, as set forth in their credit reporting manual, is that if a debt collector has their active collection authority terminated with the debt remaining unpaid, the debt collector is instructed to and agrees to report deletion of their collection to the CRAs.

That CRA policy is not a requirement of the FCRA, but rather is an internal policy of the CRAs that is intended to preclude the simultaneous inclusion of multiple collections in a consumer's credit report on the same debt.

Thus, unless you have proof that the creditor also terminated their assignment of collection authority to the debt collector PRIOR to accepting payment of the debt, the debt collector is following CRA policy by not deleting their collection.

Pursing deletion of the collection thus is by way of good-will reqests sent to the debt collector asking them to voluntarily delete their reported collection.  There is no basis for dispute if the debt collector still had active collection authority when the creditor accepted your payment.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke to a lady with Progressive and she indicated that the best route is to call the CA, probably named CCS for you, and she said they usually will delete altogether after a payment in full. I am going to be bartering with them on Friday when I get paid for a PFD. I think I recall dealing with this same CA before on a Sprint bill that had gone to them and they had it deleted in 3 days after I paid the 360 bucks I owed them.

I'll let you know how it goes. Or vice versa if you deal with them before Friday. haha.

Message 4 of 9
ThetoriParadox
Frequent Contributor

I had paid the debt back in feb. 

I called the CA (Caine & Weiner) and they said they wont delete it and to call progressive and have them contact the CA to have it removed.

She sounded very uninformed.

So now, I am chatting with progressive now and this agent is telling me that it will not be deleted but updated to say paid.

Even though someone else told me it would be removed.... so frustrating.

RE-BUILD 2.0
Venmo Card- Mission Lane-Cap1 Walmart- Amex Optima- Cap1 QS- Cap 1 QS1- NFCU Nrewards Secured- Williams Sonoma- Care Credit- Grain- scores hovering around 644-653
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the CA is reporting, they will be the one to remove. Unfortunately, they have their money, so they are less inclined to give any cares. I would just keep hammering the CA, as much as I could until I got them to say that they are taking it off and then get a timeline. If it isn't gone in that timeline, start the process again. 

Message 6 of 9
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

The same thing happened to me. I was told by the Progressive rep that it would be deleted as long as I PIF, which I did. The TL was updated to Paid by CA - CCS - and they refused to delete.  It's been over a year (PIF 2/2018) and it still remains - CCS has denied me on every call/letter requesting a GWD.

Mortgage Scores:
11/26/2018 EQ: 542 EX: 610 TU: 548
8/30/2018 EQ: 571 EX: 504 TU: 533
7/30/2018: EQ: 598 EX: 591 TU: 608
4/5/2018 EQ: 543 EX: 522 TU: 467
Message 7 of 9
ThetoriParadox
Frequent Contributor

Gawd. That’s disappointing to hear!
Mine is only for 80 dollars. :/ hate having these blemishes!!
RE-BUILD 2.0
Message 8 of 9
DR527
Regular Contributor

Almost the same problem with Walmart. I had both Original Creditor and Collection Agency send me Paid in full documents. With as much account information as possible. And send both letters to ALL three credit bureaus for in-house investigation(verify). You can ask for that because you legally have not one but two documents that say the account has been paid in full. If your debt was sold before you paid it. I think 🤔 by law both can’t report the same balance. Progressive can’t legally verify it if it is sold to a CA. And there’s always a chance the CA may not be about to verify it either. If they update the balance to zero. Then wait to see what the Credit Bureaus come back with.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.