Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Two Collections Accounts, Updated Information As Newer Accounts

tag
SilentOne

Paid Two Collections Accounts, Updated Information As Newer Accounts

Could use some advice here...

I've got two old collection accounts that I paid this past summer. Both accounts were older, but the thinking was, pay them and it'll help credit. Unfortunately, the way they're listed on my credit report now makes them look newer than they actually were.

Last payment on both original accounts would have been like 2017 or 2018, but now they are showing up as new accounts opening January 2020 and August 2020 with payments being made August 2021 marked as "C" on credit report. 

I've disputed these on all three, but it just came back as being accurate (which they aren't). 

Any suggestions on getting these updated or (preferrably) removed?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Paid Two Collections Accounts, Updated Information As Newer Accounts

Anytime a collections is paid, settled, or disputed. It comes back verified with a looks as new date. It doesnt change the day it falls off. And yes it will affect scores at first and then it ages off. Yes it stinks. So no more disputes. It will keep updating and hitting your scores. Dont poke the bear. Welcome to the forums.

Message 2 of 7
SilentOne

Thanks for the welcome and the reply! I can understand the update from the payment, but shouldn't the account opened ones be accurate? My concern is that they're several years newer than they should be, so I don't want those zombie accounts on there after they should have aged off. 

Message 3 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Collections are a continuation of debt owed and can stay on your credit report for up to 7 years from the date the debt first became delinquent. The clock on the debt doesn't reset. Your original delinquency date remains the same for both the original account and the collection agency account.

Message 4 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Collections are a continuation of debt owed and can stay on your credit report for up to 7 years from the date the debt first became delinquent. The clock on the debt doesn't reset. Your original delinquency date remains the same for both the original account and the collection agency account.

This. OP, the "open date" refers to when the collection itself was opened, not the original account. The original charge off (if it's still on your reports) along with the collection will still both fall off no later than 7.5 years (usually 7 though) from Date of First Delinquency, or when the account first went delinquent and never became current again.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Its the way it is, using last update date is a way to keep your Fico depressed until you pay them off then it can stop updating. for paid collections start a GW letter campaign to the office of the CEO or President

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Message 6 of 7
bass_playr
Established Contributor

The advice you've been given is solid, but only if they reported this as a paid collection, inserted the correct paid date, and no longer show a balance owed.  If it is reporting anything else, especially if there's a balance still showing or if they keep updating it past the date it was paid off, then that would not be correct. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.