Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid and Closed CC, score dropped

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid and Closed CC, score dropped

Hey everyone - I closed my Credit One card last month, and it reported a $2 balance due to interest or something like that.  No score change last month.  This month it reported closed and $0 as I paid the interest from the last time I had a balance.  My score dropped 10 points from this, and as you can see below the remarks said "paid loan".

This should not have happened, correct?  Why on earth would I lose 10 points for paying off revolving debt?

paid Credit One.PNG

13 REPLIES 13
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Paid and Closed CC, score dropped

When you closed the account, bringing the credit limit to $0, how much did that drop your total amount of available credit? Closing a card reduces your total available credit limit - affecting utilization. Did your util increase with the closing? Also closing can affect the number of accounts showing a balance. For example, if prior to closing, you had 1 out of 3 showing a balance, you would now have 1 out of 2 - possibly dinging you for 'too many accounts with balances' Can you tell us about your other accounts?
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:
When you closed the account, bringing the credit limit to $0, how much did that drop your total amount of available credit? Closing a card reduces your total available credit limit - affecting utilization. Did your util increase with the closing? Also closing can affect the number of accounts showing a balance. For example, if prior to closing, you had 1 out of 3 showing a balance, you would now have 1 out of 2 - possibly dinging you for 'too many accounts with balances' Can you tell us about your other accounts?

Sorry, I've been around here long enough to know to include data points lol.

My current reported utilization is 3% (354/12500)

Revolving accounts with balances - 1/5

All open accounts w/ balances - 4/8 (1 card reporting balance, mortgage, auto loan, personal loan)

Let me know if you need anything else - AAoA from my credit reports is like 2 years or so.

Message 3 of 14
thornback
Senior Contributor

Yea, with those stats, a 10pt. score drop due to closing seems quite odd.

I'm assuming you already triple checked to make sure nothing else, unrelated, changed prior that may have caused the drop in score; meaning the report of a closed account simply triggered the alert / score update reflecting a decrease that resulted from some other alertable event?

Is it just one bureau that updated so far?
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:
Yea, with those stats, a 10pt. score drop due to closing seems quite odd.

I'm assuming you already triple checked to make sure nothing else, unrelated, changed prior that may have caused the drop in score; meaning the report of a closed account simply triggered the alert / score update reflecting a decrease that resulted from some other alertable event?

Is it just one bureau that updated so far?

Yea I find it odd as well, if anything I expected to maybe gain a point or two.  I have checked my Experian report and do not see any other credit alerts.  No new inquiries (although I have a ton lol), no missed payments, etc.

So far I have only seen this change on Experian.  Do you think it's weird that there is a comment on the alert that says "paid loan"?  Maybe Experian is reporting the account type incorrect?

Message 5 of 14
thornback
Senior Contributor

That's possible, but you have other loans so... It's not like you went down to zero open loans - so I don't see that being the cause either.
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disregard the part about the account type.  Checked my report and it's showing Revolving.  So that must be a MyFICO deal.

I'm baffled, I guess I will wait to see what happens to TU and EQ.

Message 7 of 14
thornback
Senior Contributor

Yea, sorry, I'm baffled too. Maybe someone else will come along with knowledge.. Lol. Report back when the other bureaus update - will be interesting to see if similar score changes occur.
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 8 of 14
xaximus
Valued Contributor

OP - if you can - when was that TL opened? SL/CL on the card? Can you list out your other cards with SL/CL, when opened, etc.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xaximus wrote:
OP - if you can - when was that TL opened? SL/CL on the card? Can you list out your other cards with SL/CL, when opened, etc.

Closed Credit One Card - Opened 11/2017, SL 300, CL 700

Blue Nile Card - Opened 6/2018, SL 1000, CL 4200

Kohl's Card - Opened 5/2018, SL 300, CL 700

Wayfair Card - Opened 9/2018, SL I think 250?, CL 3700

Capital One - Opened 9/2018, SL 300, CL 800 (combined another CapOne Card)

Military Star - Opened 10/2018 , SL/CL 2950

So my Credit One card was the oldest of these cards, but that shouldn't matter as it will be counted for 10 years correct?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.