Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid and Closed CC, score dropped

tag
kiea
Frequent Contributor

Re: Paid and Closed CC, score dropped

I know people said that if you closed an account it won't effect your credit score but I had the same issue last month when my school loan transferred to another company. It was my longest open account after it closed my score dropped 12 points. Looks like the same thing happened to you when you closed your longest open account.
Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea it really sucks...All 3 scores took a hit...Should have just left the darn thing open and paid the monthly fee.

Message 12 of 14
thornback
Senior Contributor

This is so troubling. Perhaps there is, in fact, some truth to the "never close your oldest account" warning. I'd like to see others post DPs about this - indicating effects on scores after closing their oldest.

You'll get those points back in time - you shouldn't hold onto cards that require a fee to use when you have no use for them. That's just a waste of money. Don't beat yourself up over it...
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:
This is so troubling. Perhaps there is, in fact, some truth to the "never close your oldest account" warning. I'd like to see others post DPs about this - indicating effects on scores after closing their oldest.

You'll get those points back in time - you shouldn't hold onto cards that require a fee to use when you have no use for them. That's just a waste of money. Don't beat yourself up over it...

I guess so, as there have been no other changes.  I lost 10 points on Experian, 4 on Equifax and 15 on Transunion!  I think that's a little ridiculous...

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.