Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid before knowing about PFD

tag
tlhead
Established Member

Paid before knowing about PFD

so im assuming if I just made the payment today its to late to do this PFD?Will it help any that i paid it off? its like 6 years old.  I have 2 more im trying to pay off but will paying them off even help since they STILL wont be deleted?
Message Edited by sidewinder on 04-22-2009 07:12 PM
T. L. Head
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid before knowing about PFD

Welcome to the forums, tlhead.

I moved your message into a new thread and edited it to change the subject, but not the message.

If you've already paid, PFD is no longer an option.

I would send a GW letter. You say it is 6 years old........what is the DOFD?

Paid collections and unpaid collections are scored the same, so just paying won't help.

Message 2 of 13
tlhead
Established Member

they dont show the DOFD. For some reason the deliquent accounts all show "not reported"

but there is another for a capital one card and it shows this-

30 days late 1 time (May 2008) 60 days late 1 time (Jun 2008) 90+ days late 0 times

do you think the GW letter will work here? im going to send one to the place i paid but i called the company direct though not a collection agency so should i send the GW letter to ginnys and Capital one?  i closed the capital one account,i had no idea i was supposed to pay 90 bucks for it.

T. L. Head
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

On a CR pulled from each CRA will show the drop date. This is not shown on a CR pulled from a 3rd party puller.

Have you pulled you free CR?

GW letters go to whoever you paid. They do not have to delete or even answer your letter.

Cap1 is an OC and usually will not delete even with a PIF or PFD.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 06-07-2009 05:03 PM
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel your pain!

I did the same thing.  It never occurred to me that paying off your old debt MIGHT NOT be the thing to do!

Welcome to the wild and crazy world of credit scoring.   It's not THAT you paid your debt it is HOW you paid your debt....

But never fear, in the end paying off your debt will help.   My scores have come up slowly but surely.   I never negotiated a lower settlement, or a "PFD", and GW has never worked for me.   No, I just paid off my debt, and managed my remaining credit responsibly.  

I keep trying the GW thing from time to time.  It's the only tactic left that I can use.  Good luck.

Message 5 of 13
tlhead
Established Member

oh no Smiley Sad i am praying these letters work...now im worried Smiley Sad where your old debts charge offs also? the accounts i have where opened in 05 and 06...im afraid to ask how long it took for your score to increase. Im 23 now so i wonder if paying off the charge offs is going to help me any or if i should just wait until 2012....Smiley Indifferent

Message Edited by tlhead on 06-08-2009 10:44 PM
T. L. Head
Message 6 of 13
tlhead
Established Member

oh..i didnt know that. I dont know if i pulled them but I will go check

oh wiat i have a letter from my last dispute of these accounts and3 drop in 2012 and i dont know about the capital1 since it was opened in 2008...so if they come off in 2012 does my credit history go back to normal or increases? Smiley Happy

Message Edited by tlhead on 06-08-2009 10:37 PM
T. L. Head
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid everything before reading this forum too, so I had to basically work backwards. I actually made phone calls to a few of my creditors and basically requested they deleted the account from my reports. Some said no, some said yes and did. Some even sent me letters in the mail or emailed me, confirming they were deleted. Those that said no, I found addresses here that had proven results and sent GW letters, I got 1 deleted that way who said no over the phone. I have read several posts from people saying that paying an old collection scores the same as an unpaid collection, but if you're in the market to buy a home like me, paying everything works in your favor, even if your score only inches. Some lenders are going to require you to pay them by closing anyways, so if you can start now, I say go for it. Good luck!
Message 8 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

IMHO, PFD offers are different when made to an OC or a CA. They are not always mannah from heaven.

Are these OC or CA accounts?

PIF is not always a mistake.  PFD is an attempt to get it off your CR, but is often not accepted.

If you PIF an OC, then the threat of posting of an additional CA derog is gone.So is the threat of legal action.

If you send a PFD offer to an OC, that is conditional, and they can just refer to a CA tomorrow.

Same thing with a CA.  It may prompt legal action.

Also, you must know your state SOL law when proffering a PFD.  In some states, and offer to pay can reset your SOL, and might even give the CA less incentive to settle.

PFDs are not always the best thing to do.

Message 9 of 13
tlhead
Established Member

the OC's name is listed but I dont know if that means they were sent to a CA or not..i think they might have been...the account i PIF was to the OC though, but i sent a GW letter to them  not the PFD one...the PFD letter i sent was to a CA though.

nobody said anything about going to jailSmiley Sad jeez now im worried....lets see..i sent on PFD to a CA and 2 GW letters..let me go check this  SOL law.

T. L. Head
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.