cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid charge off just reported, score dropped 15 points.

tag
BM1990
New Contributor

Paid charge off just reported, score dropped 15 points.

Today I've noticed that a chargeoff I  paid in full last month has just reported and now my score has dropped 15 points! This is very disheartening and discouraging. Can anyone explain why this would happen ? Such a bummer! I had some plans of treating my self to a nice car in the upcoming months. I'm almost positive that this score drop will make this task even harder. I can never win man, NEVER!! LOL..

Experian: 671
Equifax: 666
Transunion: 673
12 REPLIES 12
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Paid charge off just reported, score dropped 15 points.

Was it previously updating regularly? If not, CO looks fresh to the algorithm. Now that it's paid, no more updating will occur. Scores can now rebound.

Message 2 of 13
BM1990
New Contributor

Yes, it was reporting regularly and I was making monthly payments on it regulary, as agreed. After a while, I just decided to pay it all down in one big payment, boy was I wrong!!! I should've just kept making incremental payments on it (seems like that's what bureaus prefer). I just find it kind of awkward how it decreased my score like that. 

Message 3 of 13
blindambition
Senior Contributor

That would have happened even if you took longer. It's now updated to $0, so there is no longer activity. Until the account is deleted completely.

Message 4 of 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It's odd that a charge off that's updating regularly would cause a score drop once fully paid off. Are you sure nothing else on your reports changed? Utilization increase elsewhere? New inquiries/accounts? New collection popping up?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BM1990 wrote:

Today I've noticed that a chargeoff I  paid in full last month has just reported and now my score has dropped 15 points! This is very disheartening and discouraging. Can anyone explain why this would happen ? Such a bummer! I had some plans of treating my self to a nice car in the upcoming months. I'm almost positive that this score drop will make this task even harder. I can never win man, NEVER!! LOL..

Are you looking at Fico scores or Vantage scores?

Message 6 of 13
BM1990
New Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

It's odd that a charge off that's updating regularly would cause a score drop once fully paid off. Are you sure nothing else on your reports changed? Utilization increase elsewhere? New inquiries/accounts? New collection popping up?

Yes, some interest accrued on a lingering collection I have. I'm trying to take care of all of my chargeoffs before I tackle my collection account. Should I be doing it the other way around ? Take care of collection first?

Message 7 of 13
BM1990
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@BM1990 wrote:

Are you looking at Fico scores or Vantage scores?

I got the score from Experian.com. It's Fico 8. I'm not sure about the others, they haven't reported yet. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

This actually happened to me last month. Discover card was updating monthly and I PIF and when it updated my score dropped 20 points. Nothing else on my report changed and it was FICO 8. 

Message 9 of 13
CyberChick
Contributor

Interesting. I have seen either no change or very small drop, like 3/4 points. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.