cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off collections, but still on report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid off collections, but still on report?

Hi guys,

Im trying to get my credit score up so I can get a good APR for a house. Paid off all past debt around 6mo. ago. Now trying to get a credit card, but wanted to know what my score was so I can know what cards I qualify for. Got the score watch and found on my Equifax report that I still have two collections? Does this mean that theyre paid off but still remain on my credit report? Confused here

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
2NE1
Established Contributor

Re: Paid off collections, but still on report?

Yes. Simply because you paid off your collections, the CA are not required to take them off your CR. Unless you settled with them to Pay for Delete (PFD) then they will still be sitting there on your CR until the fall off date.

I suggest you send GW letters to those that are still reporting on your CR asap!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply! I got a verbal agreement to have it deleted from my credit score but I think the lady I talked to just assumed it would. It wasnt until after some more research that I found I should have gotten everything in writing before I paid. Ah well, moving forward. Ill do some more research about good will letters but do I send it to the credit bureau, the collection agency, or the company who I originally had the debt to?

Message 3 of 8
2NE1
Established Contributor

Do not send it to the Credit Bureau!

You can first send them to the Collection Agencies (CA) and if they do not agreed to do it then contact the Origincal Creditor (OC). Hopefully the CAs won't be a pain to deal with. Check out this link for Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I looked at that link but neither seemed to fit my situation so I found another GW letter(medical in nature) on google.  Hopefully they work out, or at least I can get one account changed to paid, instead of "disputed by consumer"

Message 5 of 8
2NE1
Established Contributor

That's great... good luck!

Message 6 of 8
hateAshbury
Regular Contributor

in the same boat. Have three collections paid off, but they just sit there on my CR, dragging my score down. I've written a GW to one of the three original creditors (medical), but haven't gotten a response. At least they'll fall off in time

Starting Score: 653 (11/1/2011 TransUnion)
Current Score: 719 (5/3/2012 TransUnion) 572 (3/21/2012 Equifax) 762 (4/14/12 VantageScore)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeh mine drop off in 2013 so its not terrible but if theres any way I can do it now, then all the better. Hope you get a positive response on your letter.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.