Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid vs unpaid collections

tag
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Paid vs unpaid collections

Speaking in general terms...

If you can't get a collections company to remove entries from your CR via a PFD, is it always best to pay them off and accept a 'Settled' entry on your CR? For example, maybe you have a collection on your CR that is four years old. Would it be best (strictly from a FICO score perspective) to pay it off, or simply to let it drop off in another three years? Also, are more recent collections weighed much heavily than ones that are a couple years old, or is a collection a collection in the eyes of a possible lender / cc company? Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Paid vs unpaid collections

Settled or not, it doesn't matter. FICO doesn't care about the balance of a CA. In other words, a $0 balance CA is just as bad as a $10k balance CA in FICO terms. So, if you settle, there wouldn't be any score impact. Now future lenders prefer a $0 balance CA over one with a balance and they can weigh that in a manual review. 

FICO will weigh newer baddies over older ones, but also FICO looks at the individual dates like date reported or DOLA in addition to the DOFD of the debt (DOFD determines when an acct will drop). 

Certainly if you have an unpaid CA, keep trying. If after multiple/dozens of letters they keep saying no (there are some that won't no matter what), then you can pay it off or settle and then try via GW (goodwill letter) attempts later asking for a deletion.

Message 2 of 3
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Paid vs unpaid collections

OK, thanks for your response. Honestly, I have a bunch that aren't paid off and on my CR from when I was less responsible (two even posted early this year I think). I've started trying to rebuild and repair my credit this year. I got a cap 1 secured early this year, a cap quicksilver one in sept, and recently a Chase Freedom in November. I have a pre-approved offer from Barclay for their Rewards card, which I would take if it will help my credit, but don't necessarily need it. No late payments on CR, but pretty low AAoA and the collections are KILLING my score. Just want to make sure the steps I take are proactive in improving my credit going forward.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.