cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking Ticket Predicament-I think I got something here!!

tag
redwhisky
Valued Member

Parking Ticket Predicament-I think I got something here!!

Guys and Gals,

I recently made a mistake of paying a collections to a credit agency for parking tickets.  They charged me twice for just over 100 dollars.  This happened in Feb.  I realized the mistake afterwards.  So, I have been researching any loophole I could think of to possibly get these off my reports with transunion and Experian.

So, I am trying to gather as much evidence as possible to help me maybe argue my way to clean these off of my reports.

The first thing I did today was call the county.  I asked them a few questions. Like when the tickets were issued and how many tickets there were.

The answers were:

Issued: April 8 '10

Paid: Feb 25 '11 (to CA)

Date Assigned to CA: Oct 15 '10

Number of tickets: 1

The issue I have is, first off there are two collection entries both for the same amount.  The other discrepency is the date assigned is wrong for one of them.

So I am pretty sure I can dispute the one with the incorrect date assignment and maybe get that removed.

Is there anything I can do to get both removed?

How do you guys think I should do this?  Should I dispute with the CRAs first?  Should I get information from the county and send that to the CRA?

Do you think I can get both of them off? Or do you think that I only have a shot at one of them?

Man, Im glad i did some digging.

FYI: I also just sent them a GW today.

Please help, I think I got something here.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Parking Ticket Predicament-I think I got something here!!

@redwhisky wrote:

Guys and Gals,

I recently made a mistake of paying a collections to a credit agency for parking tickets.  They charged me twice for just over 100 dollars.  This happened in Feb.  I realized the mistake afterwards.  So, I have been researching any loophole I could think of to possibly get these off my reports with transunion and Experian.

So, I am trying to gather as much evidence as possible to help me maybe argue my way to clean these off of my reports.

The first thing I did today was call the county.  I asked them a few questions. Like when the tickets were issued and how many tickets there were.

The answers were:

Issued: April 8 '10

Paid: Feb 25 '11 (to CA)

Date Assigned to CA: Oct 15 '10

Number of tickets: 1

The issue I have is, first off there are two collection entries both for the same amount.  The other discrepency is the date assigned is wrong for one of them.

So I am pretty sure I can dispute the one with the incorrect date assignment and maybe get that removed.

Is there anything I can do to get both removed?

How do you guys think I should do this?  Should I dispute with the CRAs first?  Should I get information from the county and send that to the CRA?

Do you think I can get both of them off? Or do you think that I only have a shot at one of them?

Man, Im glad i did some digging.

FYI: I also just sent them a GW today.

Please help, I think I got something here.

So you are saying that these parking tickets are not yours yet you paid them anyhow?

Message 2 of 8
redwhisky
Valued Member

Sorry, I guess I was not clear.  This ticket is valid, however it is only one.  The CA has charged me twice for that same ticket.

The date assigned to CA is incorrect on one entry.  So I am hoping to have that one removed.

So, really, I am asking two questions.  Can I have them both removed for having paid them twice?  To be honest, I don't think you can answer that definitively.  But, what do you guys think?  Do you guys think I have a leg to stand on to fight them.  They have not responded to my GW letter.

Should I complain to the county?  How should I go about doing this and who should I send a letter to?

I called the county and requested that the information given to me twice over the phone be sent in writing as well.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redwhisky wrote:

Sorry, I guess I was not clear.  This ticket is valid, however it is only one.  The CA has charged me twice for that same ticket.

The date assigned to CA is incorrect on one entry.  So I am hoping to have that one removed.

So, really, I am asking two questions.  Can I have them both removed for having paid them twice?  To be honest, I don't think you can answer that definitively.  But, what do you guys think?  Do you guys think I have a leg to stand on to fight them.  They have not responded to my GW letter.

Should I complain to the county?  How should I go about doing this and who should I send a letter to?

I called the county and requested that the information given to me twice over the phone be sent in writing as well.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

You are entitled to a refund if they charged you twice for the same ticket.  I don't think they will willing give you the money back without a fight, though, but it is a fight that I would continue with.

Message 4 of 8
redwhisky
Valued Member

To add to that, there are two entries on my report.  So, one valid ticket and two entries.

I am thinking of an angle to use to fight one of them and possibly use another to clear the other entry.

WIth my understanding, at least one is elgible to be removed since, it has a erroneous 'date assigned' date.  From what I can gather, all information must be 100% accurate.

The angles that I am thinknig about are: when i get the information in writing from the county, I can send the CA that information and ask them to remove both, in exchange for keeping the erroneous second charge.  But I do not want to have any more contact with them.

Or, I can complain to the county and tell them that they issued this to an agency who double charged for one ticket and that is bad business.

I am not sure if supplying this information to the CRA and have them verify this, first.

I am just wondering if anyone has a certain order I should follow and to who I should send my letters to.  If anyone had any input or experience with anything similar.

Thanks O6. *salute*

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redwhisky wrote:

To add to that, there are two entries on my report.  So, one valid ticket and two entries.

I am thinking of an angle to use to fight one of them and possibly use another to clear the other entry.

WIth my understanding, at least one is elgible to be removed since, it has a erroneous 'date assigned' date.  From what I can gather, all information must be 100% accurate.

The angles that I am thinknig about are: when i get the information in writing from the county, I can send the CA that information and ask them to remove both, in exchange for keeping the erroneous second charge.  But I do not want to have any more contact with them.

Or, I can complain to the county and tell them that they issued this to an agency who double charged for one ticket and that is bad business.

I am not sure if supplying this information to the CRA and have them verify this, first.

I am just wondering if anyone has a certain order I should follow and to who I should send my letters to.  If anyone had any input or experience with anything similar.

Thanks O6. *salute*

Well, depending on how much of a fight you wanted to put up, you may be able to have your cake and eat it, too.  Smiley Wink

They have reported an erroneous entry to the credit bureaus, which has caused you harm.  Without going back and looking through files, I'd say this smells like a $1,000 FDCPA / FCRA violation, but would have to look it up to make sure.

I would tell them that you want the amount you overpaid back and the erroneous tradeline deleted.  Then, out of the kindness of your heart, you are willing to forego suing them for the violation if they would be inclined to remove the accurate tradeline as well.

IMO, I would contact the creditor first.  If they appear unresponsive or unprepared to make things right, perhaps dispute with the CRAs and at the same time file suit in small claims court.    

Message 6 of 8
redwhisky
Valued Member

If you were inclined to clarify that violation, I would appreciate it.  Or point me to where you believe that I can read it for myself.  From your signature, I would hire you if you were willing.  I am willing to fight this ALL the way and to demolish that cake.

That last post, was exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks 06.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redwhisky wrote:

If you were inclined to clarify that violation, I would appreciate it.  Or point me to where you believe that I can read it for myself.  From your signature, I would hire you if you were willing.  I am willing to fight this ALL the way and to demolish that cake.

That last post, was exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks 06.

I will look it up after a while once I get home.

Before I could represent you, you'll need to make a brief stop at your nearest Armed Forces Recruiting Station, though.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.