Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay in Full or Settle Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay in Full or Settle Collections

My credit score is currently around 650 and I'm working to raise it within the next six months. I own a home and have no car payment and very little debt. I do have a history of bankrupcty and not great credit decisions in the past. I have a collections in the amount of $255 from an old apartment (debt is one year old). Should I pay this in full? I've heard the jump in points for paying in full isn't much more than settling. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
StillKicking
Contributor

Re: Pay in Full or Settle Collections

It's $255. Pay in full and move on with increasing your scores.

Fico 8 Scores 10-19-20
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it is being listed as a collection I would contact the rental agency to settle this in writing with the original company for a deletion.I would not settle with the collection as this my stay on your report as settled.
Message 3 of 10
satio
Frequent Contributor

If the collection item trade line is going to be removed as a result of it being paid then it would not matter whether it’s PIF or settled as it will be gone.

Given the amount and the fact that you don’t seem to have any dispute about it being valid I would just PIF.

I would confirm that for my PIF the trade line will be requested to be removed from the CRAs by the CA.

Message 4 of 10
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

If you're just after trying to get a higher score, PIF vs settling has had no different affect on credit scores whatsoever. This is just in my personal experience. 

When I was cleaning up my past collections, I settled on most of them due to this but did pay some in full. 

However, PIF is a helpful bargaining chip if they will remove it from the CRA's!

Current Score: EQ 708 | TU ??? | EX 714
Score highs: EQ 715 | TU 704 | EX 718 (02/2020)
Starting Score: EQ 616 | TU 614 | EX 585 (02/18/2018)
Goal Score: 740
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have a dispute, but it's a small amount and would rather get rid of it. I would really like to purchase a car within 6 months (my family has been using one car for years now). 

Message 6 of 10
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do have a dispute, but it's a small amount and would rather get rid of it. I would really like to purchase a car within 6 months (my family has been using one car for years now). 

Ah, in the case of trying to get new credit, a PIF can help. Not necessarily with a point increase but new lenders sometimes like to see past items PIF instead of settled. This is case by case basis however depending on the lender. 

And since it's a relatively small amount, might as well just PIF. But definitely try to get them to remove it for a PIF.

Current Score: EQ 708 | TU ??? | EX 714
Score highs: EQ 715 | TU 704 | EX 718 (02/2020)
Starting Score: EQ 616 | TU 614 | EX 585 (02/18/2018)
Goal Score: 740
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

She stated it would be removed when PIF. Do you ask for a letter stating this?

Message 8 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Whos the CA? If its Portfolio or Midland they will PFD and usually dont send out letters

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

National Credit Systems

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Whos the CA? If its Portfolio or Midland they will PFD and usually dont send out letters

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.