Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay in full or settle

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay in full or settle

So I paid $442 on the account on the Merrick account it still has a balance of $873.10 but it is current at least...but the limit is $700.00. I can pay more on that in 2 weeks. Now the Capital One charge off is $1,147.70 they offered me a settlement amount of $919.00. Should I settle with them. They have an in house collection company I guess (not really clear).
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay in full or settle

Will either do pfd if you full pay off?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will have to check. The collection company acts clueless for capital one. I will try to deal with capital one directly.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one will not do pay for delete. No original creditor will, typically.

If Account is with a third party collection agency, capital one won’t talk to you they will route you back to the agency. Or if they do talk it won’t be negotiations.

With that said capital one is prob best internal collections so hopefully still with them.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I called them, and of course they won't budge.  Now the internal collection is offering $840.00 settlement instead of paying the full $1,147.  Just not sure if I should pay the full thing or not. This is with hopes for applying for a mortgage one day.  The charge off looks bad anyway but not sure what the best course of action is.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they wont do a PFD, the next best thing is to get a settlement for less, thus saving money, but with their agreement not to report any reference to paid/settled for less than the full amount..

However, whenever you settle for less, the creditor has the right to post that info with the CRA by way of a special comment, or by reporting paid, with the supplemental information of "paid/settled for less than the full amount."

The reporting of settled for less informs others that you have a history of not paying the entire debt you have obligated, and that the creditor took a loss in having dealt with you. That is never favorable in any future manual review.

To avoid that negative comment, you can make your settlement offer or acceptance contingent upon their additional agreement not to report any reference to the debt having been paid for less than its full amount.  If they agree to that term, then your accout will appear, after update to paid, the same as if it had been paid in full.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, so I am guessing I need to do all of this in writing.  Although, the collection company says that that Capital One is the one that updates the CRA.  

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, if I make a partial payment does that bring my utilization down?  It's currently at around $2624 but I paid down one credit card so about $400 less.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.