Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off debt management program before applying for a mortgage

tag
MrsAngelo
Established Member

Pay off debt management program before applying for a mortgage

Hi Everyone

I am going to try and get pre-qualified to buy a home. I enrolled in a debt management program 2 1/2 years ago. I had about $24,000 in cc debt. Now I have about $6000 left in the dmp. I wanted to know if I should pay off the last $6000 or add that money to my down payment and continue with the monthly payment of $644 until it is paid later this year. I feel like paying it off would be the optimal solution but I just want to be sure its worth it. Any help would be great. I should have looked into the dmp before I got into it because I reallly didn't need the program since none of my payments were late.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pay off debt management program before applying for a mortgage

Just going to go by what "I" would do.  I'd pay off the DMP.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

Dmps are not only for people who are late. If you had high rates, then it's beneficial if your goal is to payoff your credit card debt and start over. $24k is a lot in cc debt to even be paying 18% interest on, let alone 25-30 like a lot of people have.

Can you do it on your own? Sure. But these programs help keep you in line.
Message 3 of 4
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

I second that motion. Pay of the dmp FIRST. It will look a lot better on your behalf. Plus, you won't need to worry about becoming late or a default.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.