Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off or PFD? Need help!

tag
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Pay off or PFD? Need help!

I am new to this so bear with me if I don't know the proper lingo LOL

I pulled my report on here with ScoreWatch and there are three items on it that are bad.

Two are collections for medical treatment at an ER, I have fought for three years to get these taken off because I have letters from the Hospital stating that "a charity discount has been applied to the account listed on this letter.  The account is now considered closed"  But they won't delete them.  Should I send a validation letter even though they are 3 years old? 

Also I have a loan from a credit union that I made one payment on, lost my job two months after taking it out, I made payment arrangements but they still reported it, which is understandable.  The loan is for $331, I can pay that now in full or over several months but I don't want it showing as bad on my credit report if I'm paying on it the simulator shows my score as going up if I pay it but I don't know how accurate it is.

What should I do?

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Pay off or PFD? Need help!

Are the collections from the OC or a CA?  Are they reporting the full amount or what is left from the financial aid discount?

Paid or unpaid, a collection is still bad in FICO scoring.  Getting them removed woud prove more beneifical.

The loan is the same.  Paid or unpaid, it will still be a negative account.  You can try a PFD.  See if you pay will they delete.

Message 2 of 16
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Hi!

The collections are from CA - FFCC Columbus to be exact.    I believe it is the original amount they are reporting, but I can't get anyone on the phone to answer any questions.   This is why I was thining a debt validation letter would be the next step but I'm not sure since it is so old if it would help or if they would even respond.

I will definitely contact about a PFD with the loan.

IF I can get all those deleted off my credit, I won't have anything on it then...would that be good or bad? 

Message 3 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Those are the only things reporting on your CR?    Do you have a FICO score?

When is the last time the loan reported?  I don't know about getting that deleted as it is part of your AAoA.  If you lose that you have to start all over.

Now, if the collections are reporting the entire amount that is inaccurate as part of it was forgiven by the hospital.  Have you tried to contact the OC and ask about them?

Message 4 of 16
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Yes they are the only things reporting as of right now.

To keep my AAoA I think it would be best to pay it down within the next 6-12 months.  Thoughts?

I have not contacted the OC but I will on Monday to confirm.  I was just looking at it again and it is still showing that one of the items I disputed as "Consumer disputes this account information Medical"  It has been well past 45 days since I started that dispute, is that normal? 

Unforuntely I've looked at all my paper work since 2008 and I don't have a single bill from FFCC and the hospital bill was taken care by charity so I don't have that either.

Message 5 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Is FFCC the CA?  Aren't they reporting about the hospital bill.  The OC may still have information in their system.  You could call and ask them about the collection.  If you received financial aid after it was sent to a CA they are responsible for updating the CA with the amount. 

If you disputed it online they have about 45 days to complete it.  If it is over that I'd be calling the CRA.

Is the loan CO? 

Message 6 of 16
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Yes FFCA Is the CA, and yes they are reporting the hospital bill but I have two seperate letters from the hopistal on hand saying the charity paid it and its considered closed.

It is definitely over 45 days! I just looked and I disputed in 2011 Smiley Surprised

And yes the loan is a charge off.

Message 7 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 8 of 16
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Oh sorry it is 558. 

Message 9 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Collections aren't factored into your AAoA.  Well, they shouldn't be but sometimes they are.

It would be better to shoot for a deletion on those.  For the CO, I would ask if you PIF would they at least take off the CO annotation.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.