Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Mother's Debt

tag
ReaLiLJ
Regular Contributor

Paying Mother's Debt

So I have taken on the task of paying off my mother's debt for the holidays, as a christmas gift! I have been on the phones for hours today trying to justify why she was late, and hoping it could be removed once I paid these OC's off the balance that my mother had maxed out on her cards. After explaining my story, and letting them know I would pay them in full, the answer was no! The lates must stay "unless I have proof that she never recieved the billing statements, or the account is not really hers, or if it was a mistakes set up with the banks and autopay."

The lowdown:
"She got laid off as she is a in home-care nurse, and back in the day you know how it was, they freak out and get overwhelmed, and they just either file bankruptcy or let the bill rack up with hopes of never paying it. I explained it in a more saddening way, and let the real be known, by stating her only goal was to get food on the table, and pay rent. Which is true."

But basically after all that, I only got no's and then I got on the phone with a Analyst from Comenity Bank. He told me that if there was return mail sent back to them, or mail was not getting to her, they could remove it then, once the balance was paid off. So I then put that thought in perspective, I live in 12 apartment duplex, and the mailboxes are all connected in one place. Sometimes we get other people's mail and sometimes, people get our mail and throw it back outside on top of the mailbox (instead of giving it directly to us) and about two months ago my auntie filed a complaint on the mailman for not correctly putting sensitive mail in the right mail box! So my plan was to call the Us postal office on monday, and get a document in writing after I complain to them, stating that my mail has been either getting stolen, or ending up in the wrong mailboxes, and due to this my mom never received the mail from these credit card companies. I will then send in a letter from my mother, and the postal office together to the credit card companies with the dollar amounts that needs to be owed to them, in hopes that they will remove the lates based off of that. 

My logic is, we have only been living here for a year (before then my mom never missed a payment), and every since we moved here mail has been a problem, so with the statement from the post office verifying that, with my letter, and the oppurtunity of them getting their money in full that same day they delete the lates, I feel that this could work!? Especially since she's only start not paying her cards since we moved here, as times has gotten worse for her, and she couldn't make the minimum payments anymore.

Any suggestions, or opinions!? As I tried to go the legit route, but there being a-holes and not understanding the situation that went on! So I have to come up with some creative way, as every other option has failed!!! :\

20 Years & 1 Month Young; Total Income: $53k (Credit History): 1.9 years AAOA: 1.0 years
Fico Scores: Exp: 725 (12/4) EQ: 703 (11/13) TU: 736 (12/6) Total Credit Available: 89k
Wallet: AmEx Plat- NPSL | AmEx BCP $10.5K | BestBuy SC $10k | Duck Card $8k | BoFA CR Plat Plus Sig. $5k | Discover IT $6k | Chase Freedom Sig. $7k | CSP Sig. $5k | USBank Cash+ Sig. $5k | Barclays R MC $5k | Chevron Visa $5k | BR Visa $5k | Walmart Discover $4k | DCU Plat Visa $3k | QuickSilver CR $3k | Macy's Store CC/Macy's Amex $2.5k/$3k | BML $1.2k | Citi Divi Plat Visa $500
Open Loans: Sallie Mae SL: ($5.6k) (Def.) Car Loan (Red Devil FR-S): $20k/33k Remaining -Will Pay Off in 2yrs. Advice Welcomed!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
titanofold
Established Contributor

Re: Paying Mother's Debt

Phone calls are rarely effective. The people you get on the phone mostly lack the authority to make any adjustments to their reports.

Send out GW letters and/or PFDs. If you get some documentation from the postmaster, include that as well. It may help your case to get the lates removed.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 2 of 3
ReaLiLJ
Regular Contributor

Re: Paying Mother's Debt

I could tell, I am waiting for the documentation from the Post Office, will update once it comes, and go from there. I canceled the Victoria's Secret Payment as he said it was YMMV if they would remove the lates, but he said if I provided that documentation they could definitely do that once the payment is processed. So we will see what happens once I have access to the documentation and put into full effect Smiley Tongue (Yay Mom!!! Getting closer to officially rebuilding her 352 or w.e. it was hahahha Smiley LOL 

20 Years & 1 Month Young; Total Income: $53k (Credit History): 1.9 years AAOA: 1.0 years
Fico Scores: Exp: 725 (12/4) EQ: 703 (11/13) TU: 736 (12/6) Total Credit Available: 89k
Wallet: AmEx Plat- NPSL | AmEx BCP $10.5K | BestBuy SC $10k | Duck Card $8k | BoFA CR Plat Plus Sig. $5k | Discover IT $6k | Chase Freedom Sig. $7k | CSP Sig. $5k | USBank Cash+ Sig. $5k | Barclays R MC $5k | Chevron Visa $5k | BR Visa $5k | Walmart Discover $4k | DCU Plat Visa $3k | QuickSilver CR $3k | Macy's Store CC/Macy's Amex $2.5k/$3k | BML $1.2k | Citi Divi Plat Visa $500
Open Loans: Sallie Mae SL: ($5.6k) (Def.) Car Loan (Red Devil FR-S): $20k/33k Remaining -Will Pay Off in 2yrs. Advice Welcomed!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.