Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying OC but CA reported on me HELP

tag
HopeThruFaith
New Contributor

Re: Paying OC but CA reported on me HELP

I spoke with the OC today and was advised that since I had paid them directly then the CA shouldn't have reported me. The CA actually didn't report until the OC had contacted them to make them aware I had paid them directly. I don't know it it was out
of error of it they did it out of spite but the OC said they will contact them to have it deleted from my credit report. Thank goodness. I probably won't see all 27 of my points back will I?
Message 11 of 14
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@HopeThruFaith wrote:
I spoke with the OC today and was advised that since I had paid them directly then the CA shouldn't have reported me. The CA actually didn't report until the OC had contacted them to make them aware I had paid them directly. I don't know it it was out
of error of it they did it out of spite but the OC said they will contact them to have it deleted from my credit report. Thank goodness. I probably won't see all 27 of my points back will I?

Great news!!!!! How recent was the collection again? Might see 15-20 pt bump.

Message 12 of 14
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

I know of no statutory or regulatory basis for such a "requirement."

Termination of a debt collector's future collection authority does not negate the fact that they had authority at the time of their reporting, and thus there is no inaccuracy in their reporting to form the basis for a dispute. 

Whether you choose to believe it or not, it IS in the Credit Reporting Resource Guide.  They MUST delete if they no longer hold the debt.  It is not the same thing as not deleting a paid account.

+1

Reason is so that the consumer does not get dinged repeatedly for the same thing.  Say a person had a $100 collection and this collection was sold over and over again to different CAs.  Should the consumer have 6 collections on their CR?  Even if they say $0 owed, they would still be collections listed on the CR.  That is why if they no longer have collection authority it should be deleted.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 13 of 14
Mengineer77

I wanted to check the forums if there had been the same situation that I currently have. This morning I got hit with a 20 point drop in my credit score due to an unpaid medical bill that went to collections. I called the collection agency and they told me that I cannot PFD. They also told me that they have sent me correspondence by mail to pay the bill. After speaking to the CA, they had they incorrect address because the mail was being returned to them. From that point I called the CO and they also had the wrong address listed. I was able to pay the bill in full with the CO, it was only $179. I asked the CO if they will contact the CA to remove the collection and they said they will get back to me, but they will email them immediate that it should not be in collection due to mistake they made in the billing address. I called the CA right away and told them that they should remove the collection and the negative trade, and that the CO will be sending them an email explaining the situation. The CA manager said they cannot remove it. If there any way to dispute this.

Thanks in advance to all the board members for any information they can provide
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.