cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Off Closed Credit Card and Utilization - PLEASE HELP!

tag
Lawlover2
Contributor

Paying Off Closed Credit Card and Utilization - PLEASE HELP!

Please help!  I have one credit card left to pay down and it is w/ WaMu. (no other CC's).   Credit limit was $1,000, balance is now at $2,600.  My scores are TU 620, EQ 570 and Exp 610.  When I do the FICO predictor, and pay down to about $80 balance (pay off $2,520), my TU goes from b/w 650-690 and EQ 622-650.  I need to refi soon, as my crappy rate (at 9.9%!!!) will reset at an even higher rate.  I have the cash to pay the CC off, but I am curious as to whether my scores will really increase b/c the credit card is closed, and I have no other credit cards.  I want to apply for a few, but would like to raise my score into 630-650 range first!  What will happen if I pay down a closed CC - will it continue to use my 1,000 old credit limit in my utilization calculation or will $80 left report as $80 on an $80 utilization or 100% and again causing my score to do nothing?  Please advise fast as I want to pay today, so it will report on May 15!

Thanks so much to all of you who have helped me!  My scores were all BELOW 500 this time last year.  Lots of hard work, patience and reading, and I feel like it is all starting to get better!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying Off Closed Credit Card and Utilization - PLEASE HELP!

Lawlover2 wrote:
Please help!  I have one credit card left to pay down and it is w/ WaMu. (no other CC's).   Credit limit was $1,000, balance is now at $2,600.  My scores are TU 620, EQ 570 and Exp 610.  When I do the FICO predictor, and pay down to about $80 balance (pay off $2,520), my TU goes from b/w 650-690 and EQ 622-650.  I need to refi soon, as my crappy rate (at 9.9%!!!) will reset at an even higher rate.  I have the cash to pay the CC off, but I am curious as to whether my scores will really increase b/c the credit card is closed, and I have no other credit cards.  I want to apply for a few, but would like to raise my score into 630-650 range first!  What will happen if I pay down a closed CC - will it continue to use my 1,000 old credit limit in my utilization calculation or will $80 left report as $80 on an $80 utilization or 100% and again causing my score to do nothing?  Please advise fast as I want to pay today, so it will report on May 15!

Thanks so much to all of you who have helped me!  My scores were all BELOW 500 this time last year.  Lots of hard work, patience and reading, and I feel like it is all starting to get better!

When you call to pay it, ask if they would consider deleting it. That would be your best bet. Sure, paying it would certainly help too since it will bring your utilization down.

Message 2 of 4
Lawlover2
Contributor

I will try that but, it is WaMu and I don't think that EVER happens w/ them!!!!
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

True, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.