Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying charge Off/Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying charge Off/Collection

Hello friends. I need advice. So when I graduated from high school, I went to the bank near me and got a credit card against mother's permission. I was 18 and stupid and had a $1200 limit and maxed it out and ended up not beong able to pay it back. It was a mistake I regret to this day. However, **bleep** happens. Anyway, the debt was charged off by Wells Fargo in May of 2013. I didn't know that, though. I didn't know what a charge off was or anything. I just ignored their calls hoping they'd go away and when they stopped calling, I thought I was in the clear. Fastforward and I'm now 21 going on 22 and about to graduate from college. I have started to become financially literate and learn about credit and stuff and after being denied for student loans and other credit cards and things, I joined myfico and realized that I had that now $1500 delinquency that was charged off 2 years ago that was damaging my credit. That's the ONLY bad thing on my credit besides some hard inquiries. I am still in my last semester of college and I can't count on making money money until 2016 when I get a career. Anyway, I did research and planned to see if I can discuss my case and get a pay for deletion or something. I mean, I was young when I made the error, and now I'm graduating college and with this on my report, it'll be hard to get a car or an apartment and stuff so I thought they'd understand and help. I spoke to multiple people and they refused to do anything. Like they were real **bleep** (well they were nice but **bleep** because they really did not help). The manager was telling me "oh we all make mistakes and you'll learn next time". Ugh. So I told them whatever and I'd pay it by the end of the month. But then I thought about it. I don't think I should pay it. They were about to sell my debt and I know people say a paid charge off is better than unpaid but this was 2 year old debt and it's my only delinquency and I can easily build credit with secure card and just move on with my life until I have enough money lying around where paying this debt is nothing. But right now I'm struggling and paying this debt is a lot and if they refuse to remove it, I don't think it's even worth it. I really can't believe they are treating me like this knowing that I'm about to leave college and need this off so that I can start my life. But yeah, I figure if I'm **bleep** out of luck either way, I might as well just pay it when I get my career and can easily spare the money, but not right now. What do you think?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying charge Off/Collection

You know what? Nevermind. I think I have to pay something since I called them and said I'd pay by the end of the month. If I don't pay now, they'd probably come after me big time. Hmm... But I think I'll just settle? Or should I just suck it up and pay the full debt? The settlement they offered is around $900 and the full debt is $1588...... I think I'll settle cuz either way, the **bleep** will still be on my report no matter what

Message 2 of 10
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

I would try to get a PFD, maybe call back and speak to the EO, def take the settlement, and start with the GW letters!! Good luck to you!

Message 3 of 10
debts
Valued Member

I had a chargeoff from Cap1 Bank that i was litigated on and since there was not in much of income to show or report, i was told they could not have it removed even when i had hired a lawyer to defend myself.

If it is cap1, expect to carry the full term even if you start making money. 

If its not PFD, its not WORTH PAYING. having it for full 7 and half years is devastating, however, that may be your only choice.

cap1 does not believe in GoodWill  IMHO, however others have had success with it.

My Scores
6/18/15

TU: 678
EQ: 640
EX: 639
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You know what? Nevermind. I think I have to pay something since I called them and said I'd pay by the end of the month. If I don't pay now, they'd probably come after me big time. Hmm... But I think I'll just settle? Or should I just suck it up and pay the full debt? The settlement they offered is around $900 and the full debt is $1588...... I think I'll settle cuz either way, the **bleep** will still be on my report no matter what

Honestly, do NOT listen to people that tell you it's best to not pay it, or that it does not help your credit to pay it. That is utter NONSENSE.

If you do not pay it, it will turn into a collection - then it will be TWO black marks instead of just one. The collector can sue you for the debt and get a judgment against you - then you have THREE black marks for one debt.

Further - Charged off credit cards that show an unpaid balance by the original creditor are included in the FICO UTI calculation. UTI is 30% of your scores. Payment history is 35% - thats 65% of your scores that get hit from an unpaid charge off. Paying it off WILL help your scores by reducing your overall UTI.

Message 5 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

....and unpaid, delinquent debt, even if both SOL and credit report exclusion have passed, can still be a reason for denial of new credit.

Future creditors may still become aware of its existence, and may require its satisfaction as a condition for approval of any new credit.

If you cannot get a PFD, the next best thing is to obtain a settlement for less with the condition that they not report settled/paid for less to the CRA.

If you obtain a settlement, the debt becomes $0, and the creditor/debt collector is required to update any credit reporting to show $0.

However, they have the option of additionally reporting the fact that they acceptted less than the full amount of the debt.

That is always a negative comment, as it informs others that you have a history of not paying the full debt you acquired, and thus lending to you may result in a loss.

If you obtain their agreement not to report settled/paid for less, your credit report will then look the same as if you had paid in full.

Message 6 of 10
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello friends. I need advice. So when I graduated from high school, I went to the bank near me and got a credit card against mother's permission. I was 18 and stupid and had a $1200 limit and maxed it out and ended up not beong able to pay it back. It was a mistake I regret to this day. However, **bleep** happens. Anyway, the debt was charged off by Wells Fargo in May of 2013. I didn't know that, though. I didn't know what a charge off was or anything. I just ignored their calls hoping they'd go away and when they stopped calling, I thought I was in the clear. Fastforward and I'm now 21 going on 22 and about to graduate from college. I have started to become financially literate and learn about credit and stuff and after being denied for student loans and other credit cards and things, I joined myfico and realized that I had that now $1500 delinquency that was charged off 2 years ago that was damaging my credit. That's the ONLY bad thing on my credit besides some hard inquiries. I am still in my last semester of college and I can't count on making money money until 2016 when I get a career. Anyway, I did research and planned to see if I can discuss my case and get a pay for deletion or something. I mean, I was young when I made the error, and now I'm graduating college and with this on my report, it'll be hard to get a car or an apartment and stuff so I thought they'd understand and help. I spoke to multiple people and they refused to do anything. Like they were real **bleep** (well they were nice but **bleep** because they really did not help). The manager was telling me "oh we all make mistakes and you'll learn next time". Ugh. So I told them whatever and I'd pay it by the end of the month. But then I thought about it. I don't think I should pay it. They were about to sell my debt and I know people say a paid charge off is better than unpaid but this was 2 year old debt and it's my only delinquency and I can easily build credit with secure card and just move on with my life until I have enough money lying around where paying this debt is nothing. But right now I'm struggling and paying this debt is a lot and if they refuse to remove it, I don't think it's even worth it. I really can't believe they are treating me like this knowing that I'm about to leave college and need this off so that I can start my life. But yeah, I figure if I'm **bleep** out of luck either way, I might as well just pay it when I get my career and can easily spare the money, but not right now. What do you think?

I pretty much agree with you; I am one of those people that believes in paying something if it's owed. However, I am not going to judge those with collections or BKs as that is not my place and I do not know the circumstances. Sometimes people who have collections don't even know (either it's not their debt or they never got a bill because they moved, etc.), people can get totally burdened with medical bills (which to be fair, the cost of medicine/healthcare in the US is ridiculous and anyone who files BK on medical bills alone always gets my complete sympathy), and other things can happen in life. 

I agree with TRC_WA that BK laws for BK13 filers aren't fair (I think that after the agreed amount is repaid, it should just disappear from your reports) and sometimes it *seems* like BK7'ers get off scott-free (which in reality, I think *most* people who file BK7 are desperate and have truly thought it out; I don't think there are as many people who got out, spend a ton of money for the sake of it, and then file BK7 to get out of it as some might think). 

However, I do think it's wrong to just ignore CC bills for the sake of it -- my fiance has a friend who has had several charged-off CCs because he just didn't want to pay them. He still buys things with his debit card/cash all the time (I mean frivolous things). I think that's horrible since he could pay, he just doesn't want to because he feel he doesn't have to. (Of course karma is going to get him since he apparently applied at my fiance's company for an accountant position; the interview went well but then the company pulled his credit as it's for an accounting position and they are not going to hire him on that alone). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Callandra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I pretty much agree with you; I am one of those people that believes in paying something if it's owed. However, I am not going to judge those with collections or BKs as that is not my place and I do not know the circumstances. Sometimes people who have collections don't even know (either it's not their debt or they never got a bill because they moved, etc.), people can get totally burdened with medical bills (which to be fair, the cost of medicine/healthcare in the US is ridiculous and anyone who files BK on medical bills alone always gets my complete sympathy), and other things can happen in life. 

I agree with TRC_WA that BK laws for BK13 filers aren't fair (I think that after the agreed amount is repaid, it should just disappear from your reports) and sometimes it *seems* like BK7'ers get off scott-free (which in reality, I think *most* people who file BK7 are desperate and have truly thought it out; I don't think there are as many people who got out, spend a ton of money for the sake of it, and then file BK7 to get out of it as some might think). 

However, I do think it's wrong to just ignore CC bills for the sake of it -- my fiance has a friend who has had several charged-off CCs because he just didn't want to pay them. He still buys things with his debit card/cash all the time (I mean frivolous things). I think that's horrible since he could pay, he just doesn't want to because he feel he doesn't have to. (Of course karma is going to get him since he apparently applied at my fiance's company for an accountant position; the interview went well but then the company pulled his credit as it's for an accounting position and they are not going to hire him on that alone). 

I don't really blame them - it seems reasonable that if he does not take his own finances seriously, he may be just as irresponsible regarding the company finances. Amazing that he cannot figure that out himself.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I said that they refuse to do a pay for delete. If I settle, they'll note that it was partially paid and closed. I'm going to just get on a payment plan, pay the thing off over time to get it out of my life and deal with it continuing to stay on my accoutn as paid but charged off for the next 5 years or so

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're being **bleep**. They refuse to do PFD. They say that if I settle, they will note that. They just want to ruin my life forever for something I did right out of high school! smh

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.