Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying defaulted student loans over 10yrs old

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying defaulted student loans over 10yrs old

@Anonymous wrote:

If you were on public assistence, or were in the military, during the time you had your lates, they will consider removing the lates for those periods. I know of no other late pay removal.

@RobertEG

"The normal exclusion periods kick back in when the loan is returned to good-standing."  I had no idea this happened! Once agan, thank you for the information!

Is this accurate? I thought deployment and being in school were the only two reasons they will remove derogs short of begging.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lowkeyorca  - Sorry for the copy and paste - here is my info from a post I made in Student Loans forum"

"

I have four previous latepays from 2012/2013 on my student loans. When I contacted EdFinancial to ask if they could help me investigate whether these late pays were during forbearance, I received an email detailing  the specifics for my situation (forbearance the month after), then wrote this:

We are only able to consider modifying past reports under very extenuating circumstances, such as: if you were receiving unemployment benefits, if you were receiving public assistance, if you should have been on a Military Deferment, or if you should have been on an In-School Deferment. If any of these situations apply to the time you were reported past due, please send proof of benefits, military orders, or verification of enrollment."

I believe we were receiving food benefits at the time, so I am checking with DSHS. If we were, I can have the reports "modified".

Just wanted to put that out there for anyone who might fit one of these categories. Student loan late pays are hard to get rid of!  "

Later emails from EdFi confirmed.  I was receiving food assistance at the time, and am waiting from the letters DSHS is sending me. I just need to scan and upload the letters when I get them.

Someone later in the thread to thank me because his wife was able to remove SL lates during a tme she was unemployed.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the copy and paste. This could be a huge help to me for my lates as I deployed a couple times during the time my lates happened. When I wasn't deployed I was in school. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try this angle. Going to cross my fingers and give it a try. Thank you all I really appreciate it. I believe this is the main thing holding my credit back.
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great news! Let us know if it works. Thank you for your service!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.