Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying down balances, CLI Forthcoming, Suggestion for a 3rd Card

tag
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Paying down balances, CLI Forthcoming, Suggestion for a 3rd Card

Okay I have started to pay down my balances before the next statement cut (SDFC 15th, Cap One 21st) to preperation for a car loan refinance. I also contacted Capital One and asked if I was enrolled in the credit steps program. The answer is yes and I will get a CLI between this statement (6th) and the next statement (7th) so I would say sometime between the end of May and by the 2nd week of June.

My balances will total 9% across the board.

Experian list my score as being 632, but recently one of my CU's said it was 608. I am guessing different scoring models. TU via Capital One is 595 but the similator for each says by paying down my balances (currently underway) will increase my score 15-20 points across the board. 

I want to add a 3rd card so I guess the timing of applying is important. I got two pre-approvals lately. One is the GM Buy Power Card; however I am not all that interested in purchasing any GM product. Though I found out it's a World Elite Mastercard which has some good benefits. However, I currently don't pay very many bills for it to add up. I talked to my insurance agent and she told me, I could use my card(s) to pay the insurance as long as I did it before the auto pay of every month.

I imagine I can pay my car payment via the telephone. I currently do it online via bank transfer. I have looked at other ways but I'm not sure like Moneygrams is not worth the extra cost just to pay so I can earn points or is it?

Suggestions welcome there.

Otherwise I don't like the Credit One offer which is the other pre-approval I got. I've looked at both the Aeromexico/US Bank secured and unsecured cards and my consider any of those.

Any other cards? I may apply for a Quicksilver after WFDS drops from my file or should I skip that and go say for an American Airlines Visa?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying down balances, CLI Forthcoming, Suggestion for a 3rd Card

"My balances will total 9% across the board." You want this on only one of the cards (<9% of THAT cards limit), the other should be PIF.

"However, I currently don't pay very many bills for it to add up. I talked to my insurance agent and she told me, I could use my card(s) to pay the insurance as long as I did it before the auto pay of every month."

I pay my insurance with CC via their online interface. I also pay my Electric bill, my Cable bill, my Phone bill - pretty much everything but my rent and my car payment - with my CCs, and my paycheck pays off the cards (minus rent and car payment). Also gas, groceries and other general living expenses are paid with the CC.

"Any other cards? I may apply for a Quicksilver after WFDS drops from my file or should I skip that and go say for an American Airlines Visa?"

Apply for the QS/QS1. Another one you would probably be able to get is the Barclays reward card. AA visa would be good if you do a signifigant amount of traveling. A travel card is one I would add in later though - once you're in the high 600's, the choices are far greater.

Message 2 of 5
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

I've done PIF and left the other at 8%. I just wanted to see if having both at 4.5% would net the same results, but I guess this isn't the best time for experimenting.

My only bills is the car payment and insurance, everything else is covered. I could come up about $250 in total spending paying by credit card. I found using a rewards site that making purchases at Walmart will net you 1.0 mile per $1 spent on American and United cards. Walmart and Target are about the only places I frequent for most of the things I buy every month.

If I got the QS/QS1 would I keep the others or close the Cap One secured? I thought about applying for a Barclay's as well. The United or American Airlines would all be good because LAX is a Hub for those cards and that's where I fly out of most of the time. When I went to Mexico City in 2013 that was on United.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would keep the Cap One secured open for a year, until the annual fees hit. Cap One will let you have several cards.

Message 4 of 5
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

I will finish paying down my balances tomorrow, I have to deposit some cash (DJ'ing).

What should I do first?

I was thinking - Let my new low utilization report (mid/late May)

Should I apply for the Quicksliver first and if so, before or after my CLI on my Cap One secured card? Should also apply for the Barclay's as well?

The HP's will drop my score on TU/EQ a few points but nothing serious. I don't think it will have much effect on the interest rate I would get from the refinancing the car.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.