cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying late on utility bills

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted

Paying late on utility bills

Ok, I am quite naive about credit matters, one reason my scores are so low.  Does it lower my FICO scores to pay my utility bills late?  And I am talking real late, like by the cut off date. I always thought it did not go against your credit.  Am I wrong, and if I change my ways of paying, i.e., pay them all by their due dates, will this raise my scores?  TIA.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Paying late on utility bills

Utility bills, at least most of them (since I've heard of some people here stating that their utility companies DO post to their CRs), do NOT report to the CRAs unless they've been charged off or sent to collections.

That being said, paying them early won't help your FICOs. However bear in mind that if you pay consistently after the due date in such a way that you get "cut off" notices, sooner or later, you'll more than likely have to pay a deposit to them in order to guarantee that you WILL pay your bills.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hubby's FICOs when we started: high 400s (June 2008)
Hubby's FICO NOW (04/06/09): TU: 679 EQ: 608 EX: ???
My FICOs: TU: 643, EQ: 606
Closed on new home: 1/20/2009 -- If we can do it, YOU can do it!!

Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Valued Member

I live in IL and am pretty sure (like 90%) that our utility companies began the practice of reporting late pays about 2 years ago. I'm not ABSOLUTELY sure as I don't have any utilities in my name, but I think they have so you might want to check it out.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@EvolvingCreditDiva2 wrote:
I live in IL and am pretty sure (like 90%) that our utility companies began the practice of reporting late pays about 2 years ago. I'm not ABSOLUTELY sure as I don't have any utilities in my name, but I think they have so you might want to check it out.

Yeah, I agree. While here in FL utilities don't seem to report, I've heard from others living in other states say that they DO in THEIR state.

OP: The BEST thing you can do, PERIOD, is to check your THREE reports (you can get them at www.annualcreditreport.com for free once a year) and see for yourself. That's the ONLY way to be sure.

'Sides, you should do that ANYWAY ... you never know what's going on and how to fix it if you don't know what's on there!!

Best of luck!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hubby's FICOs when we started: high 400s (June 2008)
Hubby's FICO NOW (04/06/09): TU: 679 EQ: 608 EX: ???
My FICOs: TU: 643, EQ: 606
Closed on new home: 1/20/2009 -- If we can do it, YOU can do it!!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.