Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying of collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying of collection

Hi everyone-

I am new to the forum here so I apologize if I am not following posting rules or missing something. I have fair credit in the mid-600's, and working on paying some balances down since I had to recently pay a couple medical bills off. Had to work hard to rebuild credit to this point after 2008 economic downturn and my husband losing his job.

I have one old medical bill in collection from 2008, which I made the mistake of paying a little bit on in 2011 instead of paying it off, which then the collection agency reported and this brought my score down. My question is, if I pay this bill off (around $700) will I see a big difference in my credit score? Or is it not worth it (just asking about the score, I know seeing the collection can affect other things). Thank you for any insight you can provide. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying of collection

Depending on your state laws, the partial payment could have reset the SOL (but not the reporting time limit). It should still fall off in the next 12-18 months, but you COULD potentially be sued for it. Research the law in your state regarding this. About a dozen states require a signed, written repayment agreement to reset the SOL on a debt.

If it is the sole derogatory item on your report you could see a substantial bump when its gone. I would try to negotiate a PFD if possible.

Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Paying of collection

If the PFD fails you can attempt the HIPAA Process you can Google it, we cant go into details about it on this board. Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.