Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off collection accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off collection accounts

I have several accounts that are in collections.  If I pay them off will it help with getting a mortgage loan?  I spoke with a lender and they said they can approve me if they are paid off but I doubt it is that easy.  If paid off how long does it take for the collection companies to report as paid?  Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CyberChick
Contributor

Re: Paying off collection accounts

It is that easy. If you have the money, make your phone calls and pay. People write about pay for delete, it's worth a try, but I have found that paying will get them removed.  I have paid off all but one collection account. I have read that conventional lenders like paid charge offs. So I paid. It took a month or less for them to update. They have all varying times, but I have seen updates from 3 days to 30 days. Good luck. 

Message 2 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Actually, it *is* that easy, at least as far as taking care of the collections and having that aspect covered goes. Whether or not you do get approved depends on the rest of your profile.

If you can manage to get a PFD (Pay for delete), your scores would be even better. But even just paying will help so the collection can age. 

As for how long it takes to report as paid, that varies. Usually it's within a month, though.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 4
House2021
Established Contributor

It's been 28 days since I paid one and it still hasn't updated, 26 days for the other, another was paid 3 weeks ago and reduced by the amount paid but does not yet show a zero balance

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.